Bowie Guard

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Good day to All,
This a Bowie Guard that i did last week. All comments and critique welcome.

Cheers

"VAN"

Attachments

• bowie gaurd.JPG
    bowie gaurd.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 199

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great to me. :)

I assume you drew 1/4 of the layout and used the computer to mirror it around to get that great symmetry.

Are you going to post a shot of the whole knife when it's done?

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Van, that looks very good.

Hello Steve, I am only mentioning this for educational purposes, but it is easy to achieve that same symmetry using scotch tape. I was taught by Tim George to engrave the first half of one side or one forth and using bees wax make a pull with scotch tape then tape that down to my plastic clip board, engraving side up, then place a piece of scotch tape over the tape, rub them togther, pull off the top piece of tape and you have an identical reversed pull, carefully place it over the other half of area to be engraved and bang you have a perfectly symmeterical pattern. Engrave the second half of the first side, then repeat the process again to reverse transfer the second half. You proverably knew this already but I thought I would mention it for those who don't.

Good Luck
Ed

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Steve; D Douglas; James and ED,

Steve I will surely post a picture of the knife after completion, and yes the mirror effect was done with the computer in Visio ( I Use Visio a lot ) And ED that sounds like something I will have to try, never done it that way thanks for the tip.

Cheers

"VAN"

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ed

I did know that, and I have used it.

On the one hand, it's more accurate to copy what you actually engraved then to work from a copy of the pattern.

On the other hand, at my current level of competence, it's better for me to work from a clean copy of the pattern in each section then to let my errors accumulate. ;)

Latest posts

Sponsors