FEGA or Blade show, either/or.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I have a dilemma. What do you people think would be better to visit - either FEGA show in January or Blade show and Engrave-In in May?

I can pick only one and I'd like to pick one that would be more educating for me engraving-wise. This year I went to Blade show/Engrave-In and it was really nice, but as the name applies FEGA should be all about engraving.

Before or after either show I'd like to take few days of engraving lessons too. If I can find someone to teach me, that is.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Vilts...I would suggest since you are a knife maker you should go to the Blade Show in Atlanta, and to Scott's Engrave In. I believe you could learn a few things at both of these get togethers. There are a lot of talented people at both. Keep up the good work.

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Vilts .. I must disagree with jj .. if your are looking for engraving tips and knowledge the FEGA show is a must , there you will meet more talented and some of the best engravers in the world and a whole host of knowledge that can help you out , but if you are looking for a good time and a party then Scott's engrave in is the place to go , but I know you will get more for your money at the FEGA show in Reno .. ron p

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,

You did the Blade Show/engrave in last year and we enjoyed having you there. I think the best thing to do is to do FEGA this year. That way you will have experienced both and in the future will know which one you want to attend that year.

Ray

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts, I go to both Blade and FEGA shows every year, they each have a different atmosphere. Being you have done Blade and Engrave-In, I would also suggest, taking the trip west and go to FEGA, the room is filled with engravers and fine engraving, much more than in Atlanta, and the public seem to come in waves, so there are plenty of good opportunities to visit with the many engravers, when the tide is out, so to speak. Also there are the seminars on Monday. It would be my choice if I wanted to see engraving. -Brian

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Vilts,
I think you need to experience the FEGA show too. Fantastic engraving and artistry.
On the Monday following the show are some wonderful and free seminars.
Plan to stay for those for sure.
If you arrive a couple of days before the FEGA/ACGG show the Safari Club International show is going on in Reno and has some exceptional engraved guns from the top makers in the world.
The hotel provides a free shuttle from the airport when you arrive and a free shuttle to the Safari club each day of the show so there is no need to rent a car during this part of your trip.
Your wife would probably also enjoy seeing some of the expensive clothes and jewelery that is displayed at Safari Club.
There are fantastic game animal and bird mounts displayed in natural action poses at Safari and you can compose your photographs to capture angles and details that would be otherwise very difficult to obtain.
These can make a very valuable file resource for an engraver.
If you decide to attend please PM or email me and I can give you details about the hotel booking code number which gets you some free food coupons etc. if you don't already have it.

Best regards, John B.

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Vilts,
If you arrive a couple of days before the FEGA/ACGG show the Safari Club International show is going on in Reno and has some exceptional engraved guns from the top makers in the world.

I'll second that. That right there should be your game plan Vilts (it is mine as well). Every penny put to travel needs pay you back ten fold ... especially in this economy. A double wammy FEGA and SCI extravaganza will accomplish that.

Chris

Andrew Biggs

Hi Vilts

I second what John and the others are saying.

I think there may also be a small show by the American blade smiths at the same time in Reno?

One word of caution. Do your homework first. I have no idea what your exchange rate is like against the US dollar (Ours is dreadful) Be sure to check out all the prices first. The SCI show is something like $130? (US) each to get into because they make you join as a member. The Silver Legacy is $127? (US) per night and that includes taxes. (not sure if that is single or double) There are cheaper alternative hotels in and around Reno that are close to the venue if this is of a concern.

I don't know if you're a FEGA member but if you arn't you may want to consider an International FEGA membership which gives you free entry to the FEGA show as well. Otherwise you have to pay to get in. Do this as soon as possible.

Also keep in mind that you'll be right in the middle of the US winter so travelling can be very tricky by road.

But in saying all that............... I've found it to be well worth the time, effort and money. It would be wonderful to see you and your wife there. :)

Cheers
Andrew

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
The American Bladesmiths Show is moving to San Antonio, Texas. Aug. 20-21, 2009 so it will just be FEGA and SCI in Reno in January.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually, there will be a section of invited American Bladesmiths Society as well as the Contemporary Longrifle Association at the show as well.
The price of the hotel is more than some shows but in line with many big cities. The convenience of the Silver Legacy for all the happenings make it well worth it. It also helps the guilds keep the costs of the show down if we get more members staying under our group reservation.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I went to the SCI Show last year. It was something to behold. It is pricy as Andrew said. it cost $130 US at the door plus $55 US to join & you have to be sponsored. SCI probably wants members, so ask at the desk if they can get you a sponsor.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
The price of the Legacy rooms are the same for single or double as far as I know.
Be sure to use the Guild registration code and the price will include $6.00 food coupons for each person.
Not a lot, but it reduces the price by $12.00 per night for a couple and you have got to eat anyway.
And Vilts, please consider the Guild banquet ($45.00) which includes lots of social time, the auction and awards presentations.
And President Rex's free social gathering for members is a must.
Sure hope to meet you there, you will be in engraving information overload.
Best wishes, John.

PS. You can order membership and tickets for Safari Club International by mail or on the Internet I believe.
Just Google SCI and go to Reno 2009 Exhibition.
The last time I went that's how I did it and it saved waiting in line to get a pass.
And if I remember correctly the show entrance pass was a little cheaper for early buyers.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the responses. Seems that I would benefit more from FEGA. Now the problem is that it's quite a bit more expensive to fly to west coast, roughly 2 times. Must do some serious thinking whether it's worth for me or not. (That money could buy me a serious lens or something. Canon 85/1.2 for example and I think Sam knows personally what this baby can do).

Fortunately I'm already FEGA member, so I could get free pass.

Viljo

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Vilts,
I'm no expert at travel arrangements but this is a thought.
You might investigate booking your flight into the East coast with your normal reservation method.
Then you could check on the Internet for cheaper gamblers flights from the East coast to Reno and/or Las Vegas.
There are sometimes low fares packages available but these may be discontinued because of fuel costs.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John,
I'm not so sure there are many of these anymore. At least to Reno. A person needs to do serious checking on flights nowadays. The flights from my home airport to Reno run around $750.00. I decided to look and I can fly to Frankfurt Germany for $100.00 less. Go figure!
The day of the week, price specials between airlines and airports all factor in to the costs now. I would say Vilts would have a better chance looking for a flight direct to Reno, Las Vegas or at least LA and then try to find a shuttle.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Yes Rex, you're right as usual.
I just looked on the Net for East coast/Reno junkets and there are not many any more.
Most flights to Reno cost a lot more than flying to Vegas or LAX and then taking a shuttle on someone like Southwest Airlines.