Are you a musician?

Are you a musician? Check all that apply.

• I play a stringed instrument.

Votes: 99 56.3%
  • I play a woodwind instrument.

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • I play brass instrument.

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • I play a keyboard instrument.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I'm a percussionist.

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • I'm a vocalist.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I could play an instrument if I knew which end to put in my mouth.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I sing, but it has been compared to a dog with its leg caught in a fence.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I play the radio/cd player like a pro.

Votes: 52 29.5%
  • I play swinette (google description).

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Frank P in Switzerland suggested that we conduct a poll to see how many engravers are also musicians. Sounds like a good idea to me, so let's give it a shot!

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I am sure glad you put the radio/cd on the list. My music ability is like my drawing. Flys really well.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
I Could'nt participate in the poll. I don't even play the Radio well.
You think God does'nt have a sense of Humor? He gave me a love of Music and a Tin Ear and no rhythm:D

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I only play for my own amusement. I'm currently playing a brass bodied resonator and trying some open tunings and a little slide work. Ya' really don't need an Amp with these things! Supposedly learning music will benefit us when we lose the rest of our marbles! Right now, it just irritates Stormy the wonder dog.

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
I play guitar, banjo and sing. I worked the college circut for years back in mid 70's to mid 80's. Play for the grankids now and a coffee shop open stage now and again.

S~

Sam

Staff member
Maybe we could have a Cafe banjo tablature swap. I've been writing a lot of tabs for my students for the past few years.

Abigail

Administrator
Santos,
I LOVE playing in coffee shops. Thats definitely my favorite place to play. I love that it is small and cozy and it's not like 'performing' but more like mingling and playing and hanging out with friends. (Doesn't pay as well as other gigs, but it's very satisfying):p
Abigail

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can blow a little blues and such out of a harmonica. My mother was a pianist. See had a full ride to Julliard, but my Grandfather was from the old country and he wanted her to have a respectable career and become a nurse. That didn't happen. Well the musical ability skipped my generation but my kids are quit musically inclined.

banjo_art

I started playing banjo in the late 60's. I also play mandolin(learning), guitar(a little) and am in assorted bluegrass bands. I love to sing lead and baritone. Although I don't consider myself a lead singer I sing anyway to keep the ear plug industry going.

I also have been building bluegrass banjos and repairing prewar Gibson banjos for about as long.

--Art

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
When I was in the 4th grade I decided to take up the violin. After a month of squeeking away, Miss Whitney the music teacher took me aside and said "James I am taking your violin away"...I was afraid to go home and tell my Mother. When I did go home I said "Ma do you see anything missing?"..She looked me over for black eyes or missing teeth and when I told her, Miss Whitney took my violin away because she thought I would never make it as a musician..my mother's reply was, "Thank God".

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
Manassas, VA

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmm...so far playing the radio/cd player well is #2. I do regret never learning to play any musical instruments. Somehow I never took music seriously back in the "formative" years in grade school.

I suppose it is never too late but I seem to have too little time for things I enjoy as it is!

Peter

Sam

Staff member
Sakes alive...50 years! What styles do you play Don? Any Tony Rice flatpickin?

Don Cowles

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I like Tony, but picks and I never really got along. I am pretty much a bare-finger type fingerpicker, which makes it a little tough to hold my own in an accoustic jam session. I think my objection to picks (fingerpicks, in this case) held back my banjo development too, since Scruggs-style bluegrass just needs to be punctuated with that crisp, sharp attack. Oh, well- can't do everything! :(