My first attempt...

TC_Blades

Lat: 31 deg. 15min. North Lon:34 deg.48 min.East
I know this probably looks really funny to some of you here. I did it with out a microscope, and using a rotary tool (still not confident enough with a graver though I have one and slowly getting some practice with it). Anyhow... any constructive criticism will be appreciated. :)

Total length (open): 8.85 Inch

Total length closed: 5.31

Blade width (at base): 1.1 Inch

Blade thickness (at spine): 0.118 Inch

Weight: 6.49 Ounce

Materials: High-Carbon steel blade, liners, and bolsters. Both the blade, the spine, & the bolsters are engraved. Stabilized Afzelia burl handle, hand engraved Brass thumb stud with 4mm fire opal gem set in .925 silver housing.

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Reasonable design.

The execution will look a lot better when you do it with a graver - you'll get smoother curves and (eventually) fewer elbows.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
TC
These smaller projects are great for practicing with a graver. After a few projects like this it will be no big deal. Get after it and good luck. keep posting.
Rod

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You asked for constructive criticism, so here goes. My advice is to learn some engraving with gravers and abandon the rotary tool except for certain things like background removal, etc. You can take classes and/or get pointers and advice from Cafe members to get you jump started, and once you learn to cut with a graver you'll be on your way to much cleaner, nicer work. You've come to the right place TC, and we'll be happy to help you on your journey. / ~Sam

TC_Blades

Thanks folks. I appreciate the advice and will certainly act on it. I just finished fixing an old GRS setup (it was totally useless, and took a lot of tinkering and refurbishing - but at last, it works!!!) so, I am now in the process of figuring out the right geometry of the graver blades and how to sharpen them to get good results. I am also looking for Ron Smiths "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls" (which I was led to believe would take me a long way with issues of design. If anyone out there has a spare, or an old one they can sell - please let me know. So.... back to the tread mill I guess.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
TC, a brave attempt but I have to agree with Sam. Abandon the rotary tool for now. In the future, as Sam says, it may be of some use for background removal. Rotary tools are incredibly difficult to control and the time you spend trying to learn this would be better spent learning with a push graver if you don't have access to air assisted tools.

I'm glad to hear you now have access to a 'GRS setup' but just remember that this or any other air assisted system (Lindsay or GRS) will not in itself make you a better engraver. What it does do is cut down on the learning curve of trying to control the tool itself and building muscle memory so you can concentrate on the design you are cutting. One of the things that will really help if you can't access a class immediately is Ron Smith's Self Study Kit For Engravers (GRS part #022-873). This will help guide you through scroll design and cutting using laser etched projects and Ron's fantastic books. It is often said that it's better to cut a good design poorly than a poor design cut well and this kit would definitely help get you off to a good start.

Keep up the cutting!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
TC,
Let me say this. As you probably already know, controling a burr isn't easy and reading and studying my books is very helpful, but your determination is your most important tool. Do whatever you have to to get started right. Whatever time you have spent with that rotary tool is not wasted and it will be useful later. You can sculpt with it etc., but for engraving it just won't do. I have seen some outstanding things done with them, but that is rare and accuracy will always give you problems.

Take a beginning class to get going in the right direction, or look for someone close by that might be willing to help and the rest is study, and practice, practice, practice. Don't give up, and if you have questions, there are no stupid questions, only stupic people who don't ask them.

keep us posted on how and what you are doing.

Ron S

nomentalgiant

Elite Cafe Member
TC, you're certainly off to a good a start and the comments above come from some of the best in the business, so their advice is probably as good as it gets. :)

I can say that both of Ron Smith's books are excellent reference books that an engraver constantly refers to again and again (as a matter of fact my copy is on the night stand next to the bed.) Initially, I tried to hold out for a used copy to appear on half.com, ebay, amazon....ect........alas, to no avail. If you intend to purchase the book I wouldn't waste time trying to find a second-hand copy as this is type of book that people tend to hang on to. I'm not saying you shouldn't try, just don't get your hopes up.
I've found the book to be an invaluable asset in my arsenal of engraving tools and it certainly will set you along the right path as far as scroll design is concerned.

I like the knife in the photo. Is it one of yours?

Good luck with your new hobby, but be careful, it's more addictive than you think...........:)

TC_Blades

Another attempt. I started using the graver and left the rotary, as suggested, for the BG. I'm not very happy with the result - but I think it has a lot to do with practice - which I am doing. went ahead an ordered Smith's book - and in the process of getting Meek's book as well. Meanwhile, I try to scribble and draw as much as possible and reading all the written material I can get my hands on - but I have to say, it feels like one of those things that above all takes experience.

Just out of curiosity, what is considered the average "learning curve" to reach a professional standard of engraving? I mean - I know it took me quiet a while to get the hang of knives - and I'm still learning something new every day. What is it like in this game?

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I am impressed with what you done with the graver. After you get those books and study a little design you will learn to fill the space a little better and not quite so much background. Your learning curve is a personal thing. I have been engraving for years and still learning.
Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors