New Lady Leg Spurs

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
This is a pair of Lady Leg Spurs I just finished this weekend.

Attachments

• lady leg spurs2.JPG
    lady leg spurs2.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 334
  • lady leg spurs.JPG
    lady leg spurs.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 315

tldcowboygear

Very nice Denny! I really like the symetry of the hosiery on the inside heel band. The engraving on the rowels also looks great. Are the shanks peened on or welded?

D.C.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Denny, I don't know doodly about spurs, but thems is real neat , I like the legs theme & the mix of different metals. Very artistic spurs for some lucky cowboy/girl.
thanks for showing,
Kent

Those are some fine looking spurs. I think you ought to send them down here and let me look em over real good. Very nice work. Are they a custom order for someone?

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Denny
I like the detail in the shoe. The different metals are put together well. I also like the rowel engraved on one side cut on the other. Great work keep it up.
Rod

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Denny,
Beautiful! Your work never fails to impress me. You are one of the true artists in the spur making world. Thanks for sharing with us.
Stewart

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

D.C. - The shanks are peened on the old way and then hard silver soldered to make sure.

Mike - Yes these are a custom order with a few twists the customer diden't know he wanted until he sees them.

Custom orders for me mean, "yes I will build you something like that, but it will not look exactly the same as what you requested and I don't know how much it will cost until I get done." The way I work custom orders is that I never take any money from the customer before the spurs are done. I finish the spurs and send the customer the spurs, if they like them they send me money and if they don't, they just send the spurs back to me. I have had one pair of spurs sent back in 10 years and everyone has paid. Probably a risky way to do business, but it has worked so far.

While these spurs were fun to do, they are a little gaudy for my normal tastes. When even a cowboy action shooter may look at these and think they are a little over the top, I may have crossed the gaudy line. No offense intended Roger.

Nice set of spurs. My mare would run and hide at the sight of the rowels, but they are cool none the less!!

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Bailey -

I get lots of comments like this about my rowels. The first thing I do is take a spur with a rowel like this in one hand and a spur with a little 3/4 inch roping rowel in the other hand and poke the person in the ribs on both sides. The light goes on. It is all about surface area, the more surface area, the less harsh the rowels as long as points are not sharp. I do agree with you however that they look scary.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Denny,

I'd be proud to wear a fine pair of spurs like yours. As it is, I usually wear a cheap pair of factory made spurs that are black iron. I engraved my last initial on the inside heel bands and a little simple scrollwork around the initials. I've been wearing these for about four years and they are really beat up. When I see your beautiful work and that of others here I think "I'd hate to see those spurs in a few years." Are high end spurs like the ones you've pictured normally used for display purposes or do your customers actually wear them?

Roger

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Roger -

They are made to use but about 95% of them end up hanging in someone's collection. I actually think they look best with a few years of honest use. Kinda like people I guess, I like them best with a few wrinkles, a few dings and stories to tell. Pretty is nice but it is hard to beat experience.

Denny,

I see what you mean. I certainly don't mind using spurs as they are designed......a tool to give and reinforce cues, but man...some look midevil...

Your explanation makes a lot of sense, and they probably feel less aggressive than the spurs I use as the rowel is about half the size of yours.

Do you attend shows to display your spurs? I have considered getting a booth at the NCHA futurity in Ft. Worth to display my knives. More money there than one can comprehend, and even more people going through the show. I think it is a fairly open market for hand made bits and spurs and certainly one where a maker/engraver could create an identity with relative ease. I love my horses, but don't want to make any facet of them a business. Seems to drain the fun out too quickly...Otherwise I would have been in there a few years ago with hand engraved spurs. Probably set up a bench and cut monograms and such while there.

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Bailey -

No I don't do shows. I would rather take a beating than sit at a booth all day and try and sell stuff. I am really not a very good salesman. I set up one year at the Cody Wyoming Bit and Spur Collecters Assn. show and even though I sold everything I had and got a bunch of orders, I really don't want to do it again. I prefer to just make what I want to make and sell it to dealers. That is what I generally do because it is more fun for me that way. Also my market is a little different, it is mostly collectors and not users. I also do quite a bit of restoration on high end antique bits and spurs. Something that may suprise a lot of people is the price that some antique bits and spurs are bringing. I work on a lot of pieces that are in the $10,000 to $20,000 range.

I can appreciate that Denny, I somtimes feel like I HAVE taken a beating after a show. Sounds like you have a full book anyway.

All the best to you!!

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Denny your work is amazing, as a spur maker myslef I can appreciate all that went into them. I also have the same outlook on making spurs and do a lot of custom work-exclusivley in fact. My clients always have some great ideas and the free reign I have to use my own artistic license is just the greatest thing-the spurs tell me what they want to be in a way. I am so glad to hear you say you don't know what the exact cost will be until you're done since I'm the same way. I can ballpark a figure but it's the devil in the details that's hard to guesstimate right off the bat.
Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your spurs with us, I really nejoyed seeing a much different and better take on the classic gal leg spur :)
Paul

Hackamore

Bit & Spur Swap January 10, Claremore, Oklahoma

Denny

This is amazing work that you do! I make some spurs myself and I am light years away from doing anything like this.
I wanted you and others to know about the Mid-States Bit & Spur Swap being held in Claremore, Oklahoma on January 10th. See full details at www.bitsandspurs.com
Come if you can!

Hurley Hughes

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gaudy?

While these spurs were fun to do, they are a little gaudy for my normal tastes. When even a cowboy action shooter may look at these and think they are a little over the top, I may have crossed the gaudy line.

Actually, the "gal leg" spurs were very popular back in the cowboy days. So, they are authentic to the period we are playing the game of Cowboy Action Shooting in. Gaudy was in back then too. Outside of my newest gunleather rigs I've always leaned more to the plainer side of things in the sport.

Sponsors