Investments

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I once spoke to an extremely talented stockmaker. I was looking at his rifle display at the Reno show. His work was so good I could not stop looking at it. I asked him how many of these great works of art he owned. His comments still haunt me to this day. He said "oh I don't own any because I can't afford them". He then went on to tell me that he was invited to go on a special hunt and had to borrow a rifle because he did not own one.
It is obvious that in this group of forum members there is talent that goes beyond belief. Who among us have gathered investment work that remains in our possesion for rainy days or to be passed down to our progeny?
What kinds of items do we engrave that we are able to own? Do we even think about investment collection of our art form?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have a sterling silver ring which I engraved. That's about it, aside from a few other odds and ends. You make a good point though, Glenn. I'll be curious to see the responses. Oh, and Abigail has a few jewelry items I've engraved.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The only thing i have is the first hand made pocket knife I engraved. The only reason I have that is because I screwed it up. I use it for my every day carry knife now.

IT seems to work out that once an artisan gets good enough at what he does he can't keep up with customer orders. No time to do his own stuff.

Ray

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
I own practice plates and sample plates. Any engraved ring is for sale, except my wife rings. Engraving something I'm going
to keep for myself? That's not happening to soon. Putting money into a large diamond that's not going to be re-sold, not in
this life time. Most of my effort is put towards getting other people to pay for my time and expertise. It seems to be working.

Last edited:

Raul Hinz

I must be the only one I have a pair of single 45 consecutive serial # , pre1930 winchester,early Belgium 12 ga Browning , that I engraving for my self and for display . I will be posting picture as I finish
Raul

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
I have a few knives i have invested in to engrave and sell but am waiting for my skills to develop fully. I think poor engraving could possibly devalue the knife. Until then stainless key fobs are inexpensive and a challenge to lay out. I will post a few soon. Doug

AllanFink1960

I have a project in the planning stages to do what I refer to as the "Fink Family Jewels". (okay quit s******ing!) Other than gathering materials for it I have not actually started the production work, becaues like D.Douglass, I want my skills to be at a certain level before I start, altho I do have some ideas sketched on paper. But the idea is to create a body of work that not only marks my own accomplishments as an artist but will be handed down for generations. I dont have kids myself, (by choice) but my siblings do. But I have in mind a series of matching family rings, some earring-necklace-bracelett sets, and a few tiaras that can all be used for weddings, and other formal gatherings.

My step-grandfather was a surgeon who years ago travelled by dogsled from villiage to villiage in the Yukon doing medical work. He was also a very accomplished watercolorist. My grandmother took me aside one day and gave me his painting kit and several of his paintings. His art materials were of the highest quality and his drawing skill is top drawer. They are of several stops he made to paint along his dogsled trail, and are quite beautiful. It is an honor to get stuff from your predecessors and in that spirit I decided to do my family jewels project.

If you have ever read a whimsical poem called "The Cremation of Sam McGee" by a storyteller named Robert Service...my stepgrandfather is the guy driving the dogsled in the poem. You can find it using Google.

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/2640/?letter=C&spage=26

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Alan,
Sounds like we have similar project in mind. I have purchased model 1890 Winchester pump 22 rifles for each of my grandchildren. Should I live long enough, I'll restore and engrave each rifle. This would be for hand-me-downs.
I have also made a collage of castings of various engravings I've done along with some African memorabelia (from my hunting days) into picture frames as hand-me-downs (not sure these will ever be hung in their homes).

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My wife owns the family jewels, I get to look at them sometimes:rolleyes: I have a 3 or 4 rings and a couple watches. She has a bunch, I'll leave it at that. I don't understand why she gets mad if I make myself a new wedding band once an while. If I wear it and it's on the right finger what's the difference. I still kept the original one somewhere?

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
I got a pill box with my initials on it and sometimes I wear a copper cuff bracelet with Celtic knots on it but thats about all and oh yeah a cigar lighter with initials also. My flintlock hunting rifle has simple engraving as well.
Kent

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,

That's funny. My wedding band sits on my workbench and Holly's is broke so neither one of us has worn our wedding rings in years.

I can't stand to wear jewelry. Never have been able to so my ring sits on the bench. Holly's sit awaiting the spare time to get it fixed. Its been there for at least 8 years.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Speaking of wedding bands, here's one I engraved for Abigail for an anniversary present last Sept. My band is...um...unengraved.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting thread. Being a hobbyist, I am in posession of about 85% of all my work. Unfortunately, as an "investment", it's about as good as Bre-X stock.

Cody

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam I'm not saying anything cause I know Abigail reads these post "My band is...um...unengraved."
Slip of the keyboard:)
That's a beautiful ring I never asked is that 18k.
Ray 8 years, I hear that everyday some people let them sit 15, 20 years. Then they say why is it going to take 2 weeks. Ray check your PM.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's always the poor (?) plumbers with the rotten pipes ! at least where i live.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Outside of a couple of plates I have nothing. My wife has one small bracelet I engraved. There is a saying....something about the cobblers kids have no shoes.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I build every gun for me. But then I have to sell it, because I need to pay the bills. But I do get to own it while I'm build ing it, and then enjoy it while I have it. I find I don't regret that the guns must go live somewhere else. They become a happy memory.

Latest posts

Sponsors