displaying small items

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
I thought I'd post this here in case anyone else has run into a similar situation. I'd make these little scrimshaw pieces and then think "well now what? How do I display this thing?" I saw a lot of scrims on ebay that had little hardwood stands. I don't have the tools or talent to make those, but I came here from the fine art world so I went back to my roots and decided to start framing stuff. Purty! ;)

If anyone out there makes engravings that aren't on guns or knives or functional items, this is pretty cool way to showcase your work. Keeps it clean, easy to display, and really puts it into the fine art category. If anyone does engraved printing plates, it looks WAY cool to frame your plates when you're done printing.

The first one I framed was really simple. I wanted to keep the cost as low as possible since I was selling it on ebay. So it's just a metal frame, and the scrim is float mounted on a black linen board. Cheap, simple, elegant.

The horse is going into a juried fine art show next month so I wanted this one to be as classy as possible. I had this one done professionally. :) The two sections of suede board are actually the same color, my scanner just picked them up differently because the inner section is recessed back about a half an inch. I like this two-tone thing though, I'll have to keep that in mind next time I frame something, lol.

Anyway, just a thought about how to display little things!

-Katherine

Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
How right you are Ron ... this is truly art. After following Katherine's tutorial on scrim in Lindsay's forum and seeing her gift in artistry as well as patience to execute such works, I am ever more convinced.

Katherine ... you have a wonderful gift. Keep up the outstanding work because the world needs more of this.

Chris

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Katherine, That is a fine way to display your scrimshaw, it puts it a notch above a little wood stand and makes your scrimshaw draw the viewer into the frame work...
We'll see you at Reno and there's a bunch of us wanders to see and meet everyone and everything...
Bring your art just so we can hold and admire them in person...
Good luck on the judged show...
Jerry

Latest posts

Sponsors