another thru-the-microscope-lens photo

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
iPhones are great but have notoriously poor cameras. I shot this yesterday with my iPhone through a Meiji microscope. Not a great photo by any means, but considering it was done with a cell phone I think it's pretty amazing.
~Sam

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
That is amazing Sam, with a cell phone...
I tried it with a point and shoot, but have not tried with the Nikon D80...
Thanks for starting this great idea...
Jerry

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I'm probably one of the last few individuals on earth that don't have a cell phone.
That picture is mighty clear,you're just a natural talent for any photography, and oh yeah, the engraving is pretty neat too.
Kent

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now I'm going to have to try it with my new cell-phone.

They may actually be some of the better cameras for this - it's one place where their tiny lenses are an advantage since most of them are about the same size as the pupil of a human eye.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I do have a cell phone, but since I don't travel much, it sees little use. Wife bought it for me. Since she's the only one who has the number... I know exactly who I'm ignoring when it goes off! :)

Looks like Sam found a way for me to actually justify owning the thing.

Brian

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
That's amazing, Sam. And real nice engraving too.
And you have to show us this new trick, eh!! :)
Now the cell phone, I would never have thought of that. (_!_)
Until now I'v been like Brian M. as far as cell phones go.
After your last microscope photo post I went out and bought the same little camera you used for it.
What a great little camera it is.......now if I can just figure it out it's great for traveling.

Best regards, John B.

monk

Staff member
sam, you gotta quit givin me new things to try, i'm not up to speed on the old stuff yet. my nokia just happens to have a lens on board ! duh, i'm workin on a new bo, i'll give it a try. thanx !
i actually took a pic. the on-board image is excellent. i have the special camera usb cable but no software for it. i have fine pix and ulead software in the computer, but not sure if that software would work, or simply fry the camera. but the camera worked very well !

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I have a phone with a camera in it, it does take pictures (after some fooling around with it!) but I can't figure out how to get the pictures out of the darn thing! I am technically challenged!

monk

Staff member
you need a software program loaded onto your computer to allow your camera to transfer pics to your pc. i downloaded what i needed for my nokia, but the bleepin driver wont work. thus the camera is essentially useless for me to try sendin pics to my computer. you may have recvd. software with your camera.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I knew there had to be something technical about it! I'll check and see if I have anything like that in the box.

Bill

SpiderCurt

Hi All

As you can see this is my first post on this forum. Until now I have been lurking around soaking up information like a sponge. Being new to engraving, I don't offer advice to anyone on this subject. Perhaps, in this case, I can make a contribution.

If you have an MS Windows based computer, you can check in the "Scanners and Cameras" section of the control panel with your camera hooked up to the computer and ready to download/upload pictures. If Windows recognizes the camera there will be an icon for it in the "Scanners and Cameras" section. Clicking this icon will open a picture wizard which will allow you to transfer the pictures from your camera to the computer without the use of any additional software by merely following the directions and prompts provided by the picture wizard.

If your cell phone is like mine and doesn't have a port to connect it to your computer, you may be able to send them to your e-mail address. This, unfortunately, may create extra charges on your phone bill.

Hope this helps
Curt

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I knew there had to be something technical about it! I'll check and see if I have anything like that in the box.

Bill

Bill: Most cameras are attached to your computer with a USB cable. If so, you should then see your camera in Windows Explorer (or Finder if you're on a Mac). You can then drag & drop the photos from your camera to a folder of your choice on your computer.

I prefer to use a card reader which also plugs into a USB port. I remove the memory card from the camera and put it into the reader which stays attached to my computer. Fast and easy. Of course you can use software that automatically downloads from camera to computer if you wish. / ~Sam

p.s. For cellphone photos I email them to myself as Curt suggests.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
How are you taking the picture through he scope? Are you using some type of adaptor or are you just setting the lens of the camera on the eye piece?

Sandy

Andrew Biggs

Hey Sandy

I just stuck my lens in the eyepeice...manouvered the camera around till it looked right..........lined it up and snapped a few photos off. That was at night with only the artificial light of the microscope ring light, overhead roonm lights and 100 watt bulb for illumination. My camera is only a small Soney, 7 megapixel happy snappy job.

It works really well!!!!..............quite amazing really. Great tip that's for sure.

Cheers
Andrew

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Andrew,
How's the winter going? Thanks for the tip. That s how I take pictures through the bore scope I have. I'll give it a try with the microscope. See ya in Reno.

Sandy

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sandy

Winter is going #$%^&*$# and then some. I was seriousley thinking of giving up engraving and going into the ark building business!!!! Either that or the snow shoe business. It's been the dreariest winter I can remember with rain, hail, snow, sleet and cold................either that or I'm just getting a bit older........hah!!!!

Reno.............YES!!! I'm really looking forward to having a beer with you there.

Hang on a minute there.............it'll be winter over there at that time and summer here :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers
Andrew

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
Don't worry about the weather in January. We will never leave the Hotel. It is always a perfect 72 degrees in that building. If your summer is any thing like the summer we have had you will be glad you are in Reno. See ya.
Sandy

Latest posts

Sponsors