How to clean laps?

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I posted this here a while back but it's in the archives someplace. I use a powder called "Barkeepers' Friend" and it will be in the grocery store right next to the Comet and the Bon-Ami but it is much finer and less aggressive.

Make a paste by wetting the lap with water and sprinkle a bit on there and rub it in with a green scotchbrite pad, rinse and you're done. Non toxic.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Barkeepers' Friend" has another unusual use - if you have a monitor with a scratched anti-reflective coating it would normally be toast - there's just no way to fix it.

But a little Barkeeper's Friend on a damp paper towel will polish off the rest of the coating, restoring the monitor to usability. In fact, the monitor I'm sitting at right now I did this to. You do have to worry about reflections since the anti-reflection coating is gone but if it's too big a problem you can just put one of the after-market screens over it. Where I work the light is dim enough it's not a problem.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
I use windex..well the cheap dollar store windex imitation..I also use it as a lubricant when sharpening and polishing my gravers, it is water soluble, doesn't smell bad, and laps will last nearly forever when used with a lubricant.............Owen

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Abby....you're too much...... what a delightful sense of fun you have.
Cheers and thanks for the light touch.

For the others..... If you have the bonded type laps.
Be careful of what you use to clean them with.
Any of the oil based fluids can eventually break down the bond.
Just use a little dish soap with warm water and a nail brush.
Dry the lap between paper towels or an old T-shirt.
I think the single thickness laps can be cleaned with some of oil based products.
But why? Most stink and some are toxic and good old water and soap work well.
Windex type product will eventually rust and eat out the power hone case.
Seen a lot of them messed up that way. But your results may vary.

Just a thought, John B.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ah, It's Not A Medication Problem. There's Somethin In The Water Down There !

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Borax hand cleaner from the supermarket is great for cleaning your hands, and great for cleaning diamond laps, used with a little water. No smell, yet a very good de-greaser and cleaner. Use it also with an old toothbrush to do a final bright finish on silver engraving.

Bob Bullard

Elite Cafe Member
What do you use as a lube when you sharpen a graver ? I have been using mixture of antifreeze,
detergent and water. the antifreeze as a oil base that can be washed off easily (alum block) But I
have been wondering if I was doing any harm to my laps. I don't use any on cermac lap except dia.
spray. They seem to clean up well and still cut well.
Bob

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What do you use as a lube when you sharpen a graver ?
Bob

This may sound a little crazy and excessivly frugal but... I have been using a Gravermeister for 30 years and I have to put a small amount of oil into it. This oil circulates through the system then is deposited in a little can on the side. I remove the oil and put it into a glass jar. When I lube the hone I use an acid swab (looks like a little paint brush with a hollow metal handle) and put the reclaimed Gravermeister oil on the hone. I have been doing this for 30 years and my hones are still working fine. The oil is Delvac 10w but I doubt it matters. It looks just like regular 10w motor oil to me.

Roger

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
tolesh,
if the lap can't be cleaned with cleanser, grs sells dressing stones. i'm pretty sure they have part numbers on the parts list for the power hone. never try to cut soft materials, only hard ones. hope this helps.
pappy

Latest posts

Sponsors