6 Months to Reno

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my elected position as FEGA Sgt at Arms and Show Committee, I just wrote up some FYI guidlines for the FEGA Newsletter that we all hope can simply lay out some of the long standing rules for exhibiting at the Custom Gun Exhibition for may of our new members. I hope this takes some of the mystery out of things.

Marty

While the members of FEGA engrave various types of objects that are not firearms, we are first and foremost, a firearms engraving guild. Our annual show in conjunction with the ACGG is a custom firearms show in which the craftsperson that actually does the custom work is the exhibitor. Since our exhibition is a “gun show”, the guidelines for table displays and exhibitors are fairly simple in order to maintain a certain degree of visual conformity along this “theme” for our members and hopefully clients in attendance.

Some of the guidelines as presented to all potential exhibitors of our guild are as follows:

Any regular paid up member of FEGA is welcome to reserve a table and show their work. This means if you engrave guns you can exhibit. It is as simple as that.

Each exhibiter will be allowed one table and only one member may exhibit at that table. In other words, you cannot share a table with another person. You must exhibit your own work that is essentially on firearms. You can also display non-firearm engravings on your table such as knives, jewelry and any other examples of your talents, but this cannot exceed 20% of your display. Remember this is a firearms related show. Along this train of thought, all exhibitors should also have the necessary licenses/permits to engrave guns.

All exhibits are limited to tabletop displays that cannot higher than 24 inches from the tabletop. This is to prevent a cluttered look in the hall and not to block any ones view of the hall or exhibits. It does help make the place look good.

We also ask that all exhibiters dress in an appropriate professional manner that includes a shirt with a collar. We are professionals and we should present ourselves as such. This means that Rex cannot wear his FEGA T-shirt under his sport coat unless he has a collared shirt over it. Watch him now sew a collar on that T-shirt.

So if you are thinking of joining us in Reno, by all means think about getting your own exhibit table. Have a safe trip and I hope to see all of you there.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Aside from a shirt with a collar (I've fitted my t-shirts with paper napkins to sneak into nightclubs as kid in Boston. Back then a collard shirt was more important than an ID)

.......... are membership cards necessary? Are these being issued this year? .... never did get one.

gracias

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,
You should have gotten a card and a lapel pin. You didn't get either? Drop a note to fegainfo@fega.com and let Cherrie know.
You don't need a card to get into the show as we have a list.
Also, I might point out the shirt thing is for the exhibitors and I even think a "nice" collar less shirt under a sport jacket will pass.
For anyone interested in getting a table, please contact Jan Billeb at acgg@acgg.org.
Rex

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hey thanks Rex ... oooh forgot about the lapel pin. Like to get a sticker for my new truck as well.

I might just show up in "cognito" wearing a suit. Believe it or not ... I used to wear those working in a cubicle.

.......Contrary to why most folks in West Viginia own suits .... visiting the DMV to get your license back or court.:D

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Fancygun, thank you for posting the rules, this has been a real eye-opener lately.

I am totally not trying to cause any issue here, please please please don't take me wrong, I just really wanted to show there because I feel I do have something to offer to the gun-collecting crowd. I know there have been scrimshander(s?) there in the past, so I guess my big question is how does a FEGA member like me get into this show? Or can I not get in now or ever because I'm not a firearm engraver? (If anyone has ivory/fake pistol grips, bring it on!) ;) If I bring 4 sets of pistol grips and 1 other item does that count? (I'm totally serious).

I wish I would have known this when I visited last year. Hey, even if I have to be a table-less wanderer I'll still show up. :D

-Katherine

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is no such thing as a table-less wanderer. All wanderers are always welcome to help out with the FEGA display and even give a break to those of us that have tables but come alone and do have to "stretch" at times.
Sandra has exhibited her shrimshaw under tha catagory of "commercial Exhibitor" There is a whole set of different rules and fees associated with this type of display. Yoiu can check with Jan about that.

Andrew Biggs

A tableless wanderer...............I like that!!!

That's definatley me. Andrew Biggs from New Zealand of no fixed abode. Wandering aimlessley all over the place annoying everyone with my camera and hitting on people for articles.:D

Marty's right. Get involved as much as possible, that way you get to meet and talk to some great people, network, make friends and have a most enjoyable experience.

And don't forget the Presidents party in Rex's room. We didn't manage to trash it too badly last year. :D

Cheers
Andrew

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Marty, I'm totally game for helping out at the FEGA table! Put me to work. :) I'll gladly table-sit for anyone who needs a break and help out however I can. I'd like to be a part of the show in any way possible.

Well Andrew, Katherine from California will be a wanderer with you. Nomads of the FEGA show we shall be. And which night is this party? :cool:

-Katherine

Andrew Biggs

Hi Katherine

Nomads of the FEGA show it is!! :)

From memory (which isn't flash on a good day) it's the night before the show starts.

Rex can answer that better than me. It'll be announced in the next 2 Engraver magazines and on the forums. It's a good night where everyone crowds into Rex's room and has a bit of a social and get together.

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine,
That's a fine nomadic proposition you have there for Andrew so long as we don't ever have to watch him belly dance; we'd rather watch a pro like yourself.:rolleyes:

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Oh gosh, I just turned about a hundred shades of red. :eek: I dunno, might be more entertaining to watch him. :p Anyway y'all don't really play the right kind of music for that....

-K

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Katherine,
We sure can ALWAYS use help at the FEGA table! It is also a good way get to know other FEGA members. If you help, I PROMISE I won't let Andrew belly dance!! Just listening to that down under accent is enough entertainment...
The member social is on Thursday from 5:00 to 7:00 or so. More details will be in the next Engraver.
Rex

James Wark

Katherine,

Thats great, Nomads of the FEGA. I have attended about 5 shows since 1984 and until last year I felt like a wanderer. But in 2008 I volunteered at the FEGA table. What a difference this made in the show for me. I met so many of the engravers we chat with on the forum and others. I felt like it was home and part of something special. Rex's party is great and also met a lot of people there. Your scrimshaw is beautiful and would be well received under the commercial category if that how its done. I don't know if I'll make it this year, air fare is a killer, but if I do I will definitely be at the FEGA table again.
Jim

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Rex,
You can mark me down for the table again this year. It was a hoot last year.

Jim

Latest posts

Sponsors