drawing practice

Phoneman

I want to improve my drawing skills while I am deciding which engraving system to buy. What would you suggest to learn more about design and layout especially? I have Meeks book but I would like something that explains it more. Are there any other books or videos anyone would recommend

Andrew Biggs

Ron Smith's books on scroll design available at www.fega.com are invaluable. I think GRS sell them as well. "The Technical pen" is very good and any number of cheap drawing books that are on the market today. The important thing is you start now.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ron's books are excellent and highly recommended. Ron's a very talented designer.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think it's good for a newbie to use a projector to enlarge the various scroll to take a serious look at the elements of which they are composed. some people new to this game aren't accustomed to looking at smallish things. blow this stuff up on a wall and take a critical look at what's there. sometimes, viewed in this way, a newcomer might learn a bit faster. i know early on a projector helped me. today there's also the scanner and printer to help out.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Phoneman, And...............there isn't a substitute, book or whatever for practice especially if you're weak in the drawing area. At "work" I use printer paper for sketching & an H, 4H, & 4B pencil with a simple small hand sharpener and a pink pearl eraser just in case of mistakes.:D
I ditto what the others say about Ron Smiths book, I have it and it shows alot of what you need to know.
For starting out Meeks book can be a bit overwheming imho.
practice x3,
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors