EITH v2 - "Inlay"

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Time to start next Engraving In The Hat. This time we'll do a little more complex EITH - metal inlay. You can use any metal on any base metal, as long as it's beutiful to the eye.

Rules:

1. Everybody can participate.
  2. Participant must engrave his/her own original design at his/her best skill level.
  3. Participant must engrave his/her name and completion date somewhere.
  4. Engraving size: minimum 1 square inch, no max. Inlay of at least 1", if using wire.
  5. Everybody who takes part in the game, must send his/her engraving to other participant assigned to him/her (by random) at his/her own expense.
  6. Everybody who participates, receives engraving from some other participant for free.
  7. If possible, post your designs, sketches and/or blunders to forum.
  8. Deadline: by 7th of September 2008 the engravings must be finished.

Everybody who is interested please sign up in this thread. Please give your full name too.

Participants:
  • Viljo Marrandi (vilts)
  • Villu Marrandi (villu)
  • Mike Crapo (Idaho Flint)
  • Steve (KCSteve)
  • Jim Parker (Bama)
  • Dave Jones (threefingerdave)

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm in! I just got the goodies to practice inlay as laid out in the Tips thread on drawing down wire. I'm planning on doing a key tag for my sister of her English Setter - he's white and aged copper in color.

My EITHV2 piece might be a practice copy or I might try something else. Have a couple of things I have to finish up by next weekend first.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts- count me in again and thanks for your efforts on the first go around.

Jim Parker (Bama)

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
my attempt at inlay

Well here is my attempt at inlay
this is a knock out plug from an electrical box and the inlay is copper
the border was done with wire and the leaf is a small piece of copper sheet that i cut uot
boy it is hard to cut a piece of copper that size
i might do more but i thought i would post for your critique
the leaf is sticking above the background for a little bit of relief
this is the first time i have tried inlay by cutting out something and inlaying it
It is alot different than inlaying wire that is one diameter
please feel free to comment as this is how we learn
thanks
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0001web.jpg
    DSCF0001web.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF0014web.jpg
    DSCF0014web.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 175

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Holy smokes, between all those job things and few weddings I have been shooting I totally forgot this one. And I just thought that after this Friday's wedding I could take few days and do nothing. Guess not :)

Everybody else is still in?

Viljo

Christine

This is such a great idea, I hope you keep it going. My little shop is almost done, so it won't be long before I have my tools out again and can start scratching. I may be asking for help from you fellows on refurbishing my GraverMax. It's lines are stiff and quite discolored. ( heck I'm stiffer and discolored from the last time I was able to use them!!)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Christine,
You might take this waiting time to look in and download the manual for the GraverMax from the GRS website at www.GrsTools.com
The pages should show you how to remove the cover from the tool and replace the internal hoses if that is also needed.
The external hoses are very easy to replace as you know and the GRS parts pages for your handpieces will explain how to do that also.
Hoses are available from the company or you can buy the material at Lowe's or Home Depot.
If you are in doubt about removing the cover for the internal hoses, not often needed, you may consider contacting JB at GRS and arrange to send your GraverMax in for a tune up.

Best wishes, John B.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Guys, sorry for the delay. I've been too busy over here. I shuffled the names (this time using computer random generator, so if anyone has complaints it's not my fault :)) and here's the result:

• villu (Villu Marrandi)
  • KCSteve (Steve)
  • threefingerdave (Dave Jones)
  • vilts (Viljo Marrandi)
  • Idaho Flint (Mike Crapo)
  • Bama (Jim Parker)

So everybody please send your piece to the fella under you and Bama sends his engraving to villu (I will give you his address, he's my father and not so good with English).

Mike, I haven't finished my piece yet, but if you could wait a little then I will definitely finish it.

After this EITH is finished I'd like to take a little break in organizing them until things cool down a little and I have more time.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts

Looks good... I was starting to wonder if we where going to send these out.

I don't mind waiting. It would be worth the wait, I am sure.

Thanks
Mike

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Viljo,
Your engraving went out in Thursdays(19th) mail
they said it would take about 10 days to reach you
please let me know when you receive it
thanks again for the great EITH
Dave

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
I received my inlayed piece today
it is a really nice key fob with very nice scroll work, great shading and a really good inlay
it is a thing of beauty
i will use it with my keys
thanks for sending it
oh
there also was a little knife with an apolligy for being late
that was very thoughtful
I received an email from Vilts saying that he received his piece from me
did everyone else get theirs?
again thank Steve
Dave Jones

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry I was so late. As I said in the note, inlaying copper into nickel silver sounds like a good idea but it most definitely is NOT.

If you ever do have to put copper in NS, stick to lines. You can get them to work by cutting deep and letting the nickel silver fold around the copper but they're too close in hardness to do any area work.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I finally finished mine. When Steve did copper in nickel I had to to silver solder in copper. Silver was harder and not too much fun.

Anyway, I will send my work out tomorrow.

I did a little blog post about this inlay too, find it from Silver Inlay

Everybody else has sent out and received their pieces?

Viljo

Sponsors