Pen Engraving

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here are some of the pen engraving I have been doing. These pens are very high quality pens handmade by David Broadwell, I did my first pen last winter, and was really leary of it being it is on such a tight round, about a 1/2 inch in diameter, but after trying one I really like doing them, the areas are small so you can do alot of detail work, but be finished before you become bored with the job. And once you learn to spin the barrel and rotate the vise at the same time, it is no problem cutting around that tight round. One issue with rounded engraving though is seeing it, you can only see a 1/4 of it at a time so its difficult to photograph it and show what you really put on there.

The first pen are parts I photographed and fooled with in photoshop, all I see is parts, David assembles them after I am through. This pen is for a Rabbi, who wanted the Hebrew letter Aleph, for the ornamental work I tried to find some type of hebrew ornament but found very little info on Hebrew ornamentation, so I just went with what I thought would look nice.

The pics of the Parrot Pen where taken by David upon completion, the Parrot pen, was for a client who has a parrot named Opus, and Opus was the model for the pen, they sent pics of the bird and I used those to reproduce Opus on the pen, I guess it is kind of a tribute pen to a beloved pet. Thanks for looking-Brian

(Aleph Pen Parts)
[/IMG]
(Parrot Pen)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

JT Kinney

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Brian,

Fantastic Work, Thank You for posting these pieces, and giving us the chance to view it.
JT

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i guess you know this is pretty spiffy stuff ! that will surely improve their writing skills !

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew the caps are pretty thick but you are right the barrels are thin and delicate. When you inlay, you really need to pay attention to your depth.

Rex, see what you started, when I first started engraving all I was interested in was cutting silver for my saddles, I took your beginner class and saw relief engraving, now look what has happened, things spiraled out of control:)

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, this is what I tell my students. Engraving will reach out and grab you and won't let you go. It is a consuming fire, so watch out!...........We all know what you are talking about.

So, it is Rex's fault, huh?! I been looking for someone to blame............Why would anyone want to endure such a struggle?...........I thought it was just me, but I can beat up on him. Kornbrath, Nimschke, Fugger, Prudhomme, and those other guys are gone.

Excellent work, by the way.

Ain't it wonderful?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great looking pens Brian. I've seen David's pen's (in pictures) before and they are works of art in themselves and your engraving suits them well.

Thanks,
Peter

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Awesome work (as usual!). It looks like you would need a pen like that to write the check for the work! High quality stuff!!

Weldon

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Brian, I'm glad I can be blamed for starting it all. Teaching has become something I really love and sure can see why John B did it for so long. To see someone like you come in and see the spark is really special.
I'm afraid I can only take the blame for igniting the fire and it takes the individual to go from there but it sure is great!
Keep it up!

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm living proof that talent doesn't happen by osmosis!......I was next to Brian in Rex's class. It is good to see talent and enthusium grow and I am proud of you Brian. Don't ever let the spark die!!

Latest posts

Sponsors