making your own panto templates #6

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
last one aligning very small or difficult items
for this purpose i have created a special alignment tool. when trying to do a trace on say an infants' signet
ring or very tiny object. this can be quite frustrating. the standard diamond drag point is so "fat", it gets in your line of sight and you cant see properly.
first off, i always leave the rotary spindle in my new hermes panto. not for power, but for using the much longer rotary cutter shaft to carry a special alignment tool. when using the rotary spindle to do regular, non powered, diamond drag tracing, there's no problem. it traces very well that way.
if you can sacrifice a spare rotary cutter, that's the best way to go. if not, a good one can simply be turned upside down and the backend can get the following:
either cut the cutter point off and face on a lathe or face off the back end of the cutter shaft. drill in maybe .250" and superglue a long tapered dental drill point into the hole. the point is nearly sharp as a needle. the hole should be drilled dead center, or the alignment will be off a hair. mount this tool in your spindle and properly align your template on the table.
now as you bring the spindle out over the object for alignment with the temp, the very narrow drill point will enable you to see the small part. once everything is aligned and locked, remove the alignment tool and put the diamond engraving shaft back in the spindle housing. trace very lightly.double check with a loupe before removing to assure a complete trace has been made.
the foto shows my tool on the left. the diamond graver on the right. for what it's worth, the diamond was much wider than you see here. i ground a good bit of it away and it's still fairly fat
hope this helped some of you. questions to jayismonk450@gmail.com or better 724-328-4951
please, no pm's

Attachments

• ALIGN TOOL.JPG
    ALIGN TOOL.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts

Sponsors