A set of Ferkins

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
The Firkin family.

Maestro Ron,
You tell me to go to work, therefore, I go to work and make a large Firkin for polishing wide surfaces, a medium size Firkin for curves and radii and a wee Firkin for delicate pieces of silver or gold. I learned all about Firkins forty years ago while working at Jaeger Gun Co. and have found that they work extremely well.
Once accustomed to the Firkins, they will become indispensable to anyone who must polish metal surfaces.
I recall when the gun maker gave me the first Firkin and then set me to refinishing an engraved Drilling rifle. I asked the gun maker what this strange tool was called. His answer was, “Using this tool properly is a lot of hard firkin work, and that’s where its name comes from.â€￾ Aint this fun!

Attachments

• firkin 001.jpg
    firkin 001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 295

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those look like just firkin sticks to me!!................

Am I correct in observing that the leather grips the sand paper without gluing the paper to the stick?

I have used a similar thing but I came by it on my own, not knowing why particularly. It just seemed proper and effective which it is like you said. I didn't use the leather pad however. I'll have to try that.

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Rodger, once you have your own firkin in hand the rest will come naturally.
Maestro Ron, the reason for the leather backing is that it has flexibility that solid wood or steel doesn’t have; it allows the sandpaper to follow the contour of the surface being polished. There are circumstances when solid backing is preferable but also there are those delicate areas and curves where only the firkin is the answer to a maid’s prayer.

JCP

Jim , 3M makes a spray adhesive that is called (remount ) you spray in on both surfaces and let it dry then stick the sand paper to what ever. You can remove it and remount it again , Thus the name , Remount.

Sponsors