How good do you have to be?

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
How good do you have to be to go to one of the Grand master classes and not be over your head. How does that work? The horse and rider in the battle just blew me away. How good do you have to be to learn something like that and not be a drag on the class?
Rod

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, you are never a drag on the class, as instructors work with each individual to get the most out of him. In my case, I try and work with the individual according to his needs, and a lot you learn there will aid you when you reach the need to utilize the information. If you can handle yout tools well enough, you will gain a lot. There are a lot of mental adjustments however, one has to be able to make concerning practicality. Those only come as you are willing to make them, and they must be in tune with where you are at the time having to do with monetary compensation. The fact is if you are unable to sacrifice a bit for your knowledge it will come slowly. The classroom is a good invironment to get those creative desires fueled however, and that is a very valuable asset. So don't worry about that too much. I think you would learn enough to feel justified in going, but you would have to talk to others (students) because I see it from the instructors viewpoint even though I try very hard to remember what it was like learning. But then I had to do that on my own, so I can't exactly relate to their (students) situation. I have been learning to teach like you have been learning to engrave, and I probably have an awful lot to learn. Getting information across is as much the teacher's difficulty as it is the students ability to understand.

rick woodward

Hi Rod and Ron Smith
I been checking this forum for a while but i guess i missed it ? Where can I see a pic of The horse and rider in the battle ? Is this something you have done Ron ? Thanks. rickw

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Rod, if you apply to attend one of the Grand Masters classes you have to supply several photos of your work. Any names or identifying marks are not allowed and will be removed. The photos are given a number and are then sent to the Grand Master who's class you have applied to attend. He then selects the students by the numbers on the photographs. This has been seen as the fairest way to select students and there is no embarrassment in the future as he doesn't know any names or who's applying for the class until after they've been selected.

Apparently, some teachers will only pick the best but some are known to deliberately pick a student of lesser ability who they feel would benefit from such a class.

What you have to remember, though, is it basically is a Master Class. This means a lot of people applying for the GMP are engravers who are already masters in their own right and they take such a class because they seek to learn a specific technique/techniques from someone who's work they admire. As Ron points out, this means sacrifice because not only are they paying a lot of money to attend the class but they are away from the bench and it's earning potential. Hopefully though, they go away with extra knowledge which they can then apply to their work. It is not meant as a spoon feeding exercise but rather as a catalyst to further their own expertise. I'm sure anyone who attended my father's Master Class last year would verify this.

In conclusion then, if you feel that your work is of a good enough standard and that you have all the basics comfortably under your belt and, more importantly, you would benefit from what the Grand Master will impart to you, then apply. If accepted into the class then you really get a bonus from GRS/Glendo and that is the weekend between the two classes. Here engravers from all over the world congregate and you'll have the chance to talk and share engraving for two whole days. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year which is a shame because it really is an event to behold. Go for it Rod!

Last edited:

rick woodward

Thanks KCSteve
Criminy ! That is oustanding, both pics. I wish i was 15 years old and already dedicated to engraving. So i would have time to go the distance. Alain, I have seen some pics of your work on here. Stunning, i reaaly like your style. Cant see enough of your work. Hope to see alot more of your beautiful work. rickw

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus
Thank you for the information. I have been to classes where I wondered why someone was taking them because the class was way beyond there skill. I didn't want to be that student. To be picked for the class is a good way to do it. You may not like to be turned down but it should make you try harder.
Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors