Corel Question

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
I'm wondering if someone knows how to save and print only the wireframe of a design after you have gone to grey scale and then into trace. is this even possible?

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I'm not sure what version you're on ... (it might not even make a diiference) ... if my memory serves me right (but not lately:rolleyes:), I believe you can export to dxf after you have traced. A number of programs including Corel can handle 2-D dxf and you can print, fine tune your vertices etc etc. I used to do this when creating fonts.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm sorry David ...

dxf is a file format ("Drawing Interchange Format") used in programs like AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max but many drawing programs have the capability to export and import dxf like Corel, Paint Shop Pro ... etc etc.

Trace your grey scale image and then go to menu item "View", select "Object" and then select "Wire Frame". Then Save as a vector and select DXF as the file format. You can import the vector image into Corel (or any other drawing program that has a dxf import filter) and you've got your wire frame. From there you can remove unwanted vertices (points) till you've got exactly what you want. Trace has a tendency to add unwanted vertices.

This might be the long way around the barn but that's what I used to do in the older versions of Corel. Saving to dxf gave me the ability to manipulate the vector image in other programs outside of the Corel suite that handled vertex fine-tuning a little better.

I just tested it and it works (since I haven't done it in awhile). Hope that helps.

Chris

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cool David .... didn't see your edit ... my satellite connection went down in the middle of my last reply. The darn Earth is supposed to stop rotating while I'm posting!!!!

Glad you figured out the "missing" step I forgot to mention in my first post.

These infernal machines (computers) will certainly contribute to hair loss as well as heart disease, cronic fatigue and a host of central nervous system disorders including shell shock.

Chris

Last edited:

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks again Chris. We had a power surge, at that time as well, which shut down my computer. it's as if we weren't supposed to share that information. Pretty strange. :confused:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For anyone else that is curious .... on versions of Corel with "trace" as part of the Draw program (not a separate program like in version 8 or earlier), export to DXF and check "unfilled" in the filter dialog box.

Unfortunately the TTF (True Type Font) filter is not present in version 13.

Latest posts

Sponsors