Need info from die cutters re. stones

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Okay guys, I know there's someone out there who has had a great deal of experience using stones to smooth out high relief scroll work or dies. I have relieved my scroll and shaped the leaves using chisels & scrapers --- NOW, I need info on techniques of stone work, source of stones , and your ph. number. Please email your ph. # to kenhurst@suddenlink.net so I can call you. Many thanks, ken

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
ken,
No experience on the scroll work myself, but a career in steel dies including 3D. I get my die and moldmaker supplies from Gesswein in Connecticut. I do use chisels, gravers, punches and rotary tools, and always finish with an assortment of stones suited to steel.

JCB

Gesswein

The only problem with Gesswein is they will charge you $20 shipping for even the smallest of packages.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, but have they got the stones.

Moldmaker stones are grey, semi-soft stones that breakdown as they cut, pretty good stock removal rate. The downside to them is that they erode so fast, that they lose their shape. Works best with large flat areas, or large concave or convex areas.

the 'Oil filled" stones are really good for keeping their shape. So they are better for more intricate work.

With all stones, use the Gesswein stoning oils, or other light weight stoning oil. The oil carries away the junk and keeps the stones cutting clean.

They sell a pencil stone assortment, and a handle to go with it.

Nobody else I know of has such a deep assortment of special purpose stones. Maybe it would be worth talking to a sales rep if you can describe the kind of work you are doing, you might get the stone you need without buying a whole bunch of useless stuff. My shop is full of that kind of thing.

Latest posts

Sponsors