scribbling for ideas

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
your earrings were wonderfull. I liked the way you cut them out, being a gun and knife engraver i thought you would cut out a tear drop shape and engrave it, but your way looks more delicate. Now i have some new ideas about how I might use designs in the future. I'm glad you sent in the pictures and I really wish some of our other members would do the same no matter what their level of experance because we can help and learn from each other,
Thanks again,
Carl Bleile
Cincinnati,Ohio

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl

The idea of cutting out to the scroll isn't mine - I saw someone else post a piece done that way several months ago and thought it was very eye-catching.

One tip for folks trying this - you want to make the edge sort of smooth - points sticking out are ok (but make sure you file them dull so they don't scratch) but too many 'cuts' make it more likely to catch on things. Plus they're just a bear to cut. You have to balance between 'enough going on to be interesting' and 'jagged instrument of pain'. One thing you can do is to leave some of the background between points as I did on the earrings.

I have pretty much no fear at all of showing my work. Having never touched a graver before last June I figure anything I do is some sort of accomplishment. The fact that folks here are so helpful and friendly makes it even better. Sure, they'll point out what's wrong but that's in the context of telling you how to make it better. :)

So Carl, going to post pictures of the earrings you're no doubt making for your wife? ;)

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
what guage silver did you use,because not being a jeweler i don't know what would be to heavy(to wear ) for an earring.
Carl Bleile
Cincinnati,Ohio

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl

I think it's 20ga - I bought it for making bracelets so it's either 18 or 20.

The earrings aren't too heavy because they're not too large. I think you could go up around the size of a quarter and still be ok. Worst case, take a piece about that size and ask her if she thinks it feels too heavy or not.

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,
I need some advice from you and other jewelers. I am thinking about making earrings and or pendant useing floral with bulino portraits of our pets but in thinking about it I thought it could look to commercial or production like, laser, pano.etching, etc. then my next thought was pierced sculpted floral,(like the Parker I showed on this sight),but again it could look like a production casting.
In the world of jewelry what speeks of custom work more than anything else.
Carl Bleile
Cincinnati,Ohio

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Carl, I think if done by hand it will speak for itself. It will have a ceartin look that no machine can produce. Your question is a difficult one. I would say the design itself makes things look custom. Not so much how you got there. Doug

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carl

I'm not a jeweler, but I agree with Doug - I think hand made will shine through.

If someone thinks they can find your level of quality at the mall, well, they'll eventually figure it out. ;)

Sponsors