Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Another facinating interview! Having been involved in Metal Detecting for a number of years I have heard of and seen Hobo Nickels. But have already learned a truckload more about them on this forum than anywhere else. I'm going to have to give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-Iowa View Post
    Another facinating interview! Having been involved in Metal Detecting for a number of years I have heard of and seen Hobo Nickels. But have already learned a truckload more about them on this forum than anywhere else. I'm going to have to give it a shot.
    Jim: I've found tons of buffalo nickels with a metal detector, but never a hobo. I've enjoyed that hobby too, although I've not been in awhile. My old Garrett Groundhog is about dead from years of use.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    Jim: I've found tons of buffalo nickels with a metal detector, but never a hobo. I've enjoyed that hobby too, although I've not been in awhile. My old Garrett Groundhog is about dead from years of use.
    Sam, I have yet to dig a Hobo nickel. But have a few friends who have and showed them to me. They live in SE Iowa around Ottumwa which has been a Railroad Hub for almost as long as Iowa has been a state.

Post Thanks / Like

Great interview billzack!
    I don't know if you know this but you were the first person to contact me when I put my first coin on EBay. You helped me a great deal with your warm welcome to me as a new carver and your good advise concerning coin carving. I got in to coin carving as a step to learning engraving and understand fully how it captures you. I am still trying to break away but havent yet been able to do that yet.
    Thanks again for your continued good advise through this forum and keep that great work coming. It is always a treat to see your latest carvings.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, it,s good to see you here, many people have asked me thur the years why i,m always ready to help a new coin carver get started, because it,ll cut into my selling of carved coins.The number one reason is that i like to help people, The second reason is, as other coin carvers improve I,ve got to get better or get out..[ps] a lot of you know Bob, but for those that don,t he,s a super coin carver.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, Enjoyed all the Q&A's I like you already and havn't met you. God is Good! You answered a great deal of the questions the same way I would have. I havn't been that interested in hobo nickels but visiting Sam's page over and over for the past several years has got me thinking about it. May try it one day. Hang in there and thanks for sharing your thoughts and nickels. Dwayne