can you do me a favor?

mlurth

thank you so much everyone that helped point out what is good and bad about both the GRS and Lindsay brand gravers. I hope to find the one that will be an extension to my hand and allow me to create great works of art. Therefore I would like to try out both brands to see what is comfortable for me.
If there is anyone that lives in the region of northeastern Iowa and would be willing to let me try out your lindsay system just give me a shout! Since all I have worked with were GRS tools I wanted to see what the Lindsay brand felt like.

Than you so much!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm way over in Kansas City but if you let me know the next time you're heading to Emporia (assuming you go through KC) I can probably meet you with the Box O' Happiness.

There are some engravers over on your side of Missouri I know, but I'm not sure if there are any reasonably close to you.

You might also pop over to Steve's forum to see if there's someone near you who can let you give one of Steve's jewels a try. Most of the same folks in both places but there are some that stay one just one side of the fence.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Mlurth;
I would make a suggestion of giving Ray Clover, a call. He has a school just outside of St. Louis, gives classes, and has both systems for use by his students. If you could , take a class. It will help you immediately, and you will be a lot farther along, plus you can get familiar with both systems.
Here is Rays Site: http://www.rcoverengraving.com/

Last edited:

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
Yes call Steve or e-mail him that is how I found someone in my own littl town who let me play with his for several hours! then I bought one (same day!)........Owen

Andrew Biggs

I hope to find the one that will be an extension to my hand and allow me to create great works of art.

Yes, it's a good idea to try them all out and find what suits you best.

However.......................

What will create great works of art is your imagination, knowledge, passion, drive, determination, designs, artistic ability and how skilled your hands will become. The tool won't do it for you. If you can't do it with a GRS tool then you won't be able to do it with a Lindsay tool.

Cheers
Andrew

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What will create great works of art is your imagination, knowledge, passion, drive, determination, designs, artistic ability and how skilled your hands will become. The tool won't do it for you. If you can't do it with a GRS tool then you won't be able to do it with a Lindsay tool./QUOTE]

No one ever said it better than Andrew's quote above.

I have used the same Gravermeister for 30 years and yet never excluded the push graver or the hammer & chisel. I just ordered a Lindsay PC but you can bet that I will not sell my other tools as they all have their uses and strengths. Look at this photo of a gun engraved by my brother, Carl: http://www.igraver.com/forum/gallery/photoplog/index.php?n=1212 It was mostly engraved using an NgraveR which operates off a flex shaft. He also used push gravers and did some work with a Graver Mach. The mechanical aspect is about versatility in the tools you use but the art part is what seperates the wheat from the chaff and Andrew said it best above.

Roger

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
My brother (Roger) and I could switch between the air tools and with in minutes feel comfortable cutting.
It's not so much the tool as much as learning how to use it. Ive included pictures of a Savage 99 that I engraved in 1979 useing h&c, push tool, a lot of the work would have gone faster and been easier on the body if (either)air tools would have been available. I know it would be nice if everyone would say to pick this one or that, but they are to close to call and it comes down to which of the variables best fits with what you need.
Carl Bleile
Cincinnati, Ohio

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 52