practice plate

Gemsset

indeed nice work Jacques,

Did you do the removal with a bur or with an graver?

Regards,
Carl

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jaques
Everytime you post a picture of your practice plates they look to be getting better. Well done

I would make a suggestion about your shading. It looks very good............but it could get better by adjusting a few things.

When shading try to think along these lines......Deeper cuts look darker (within reason) Cuts closer togeather look darker. Cross hatching them makes them more darker. The reverse also happens. Lighter cuts spaced further apart look lighter. Uniform cuts give one shade of grey only. Try it with a pencil and you'll see what I mean.

The cuts you are making look great with lovley tapers on them........... However they are to evenley spaced and create a uniform shadow. Try making one of the cuts reasonabley deep (not as deep as a main cut). Next make a couple of less deep cuts very close to it. Then make the next cuts slightly further away and a lot shallower. Under the microscope it won't look like much difference but when you see them with the naked eye it will make a great deal of difference.

The deeper/closer togeather cuts will look darker and the shallower cuts further away will look lighter. This will give you the optical effect of shadows going from dark to light.

Another thing I would try is at the end of the tear drop where the leaf bends try cutting some small U shapes. Not too many , say around 3-5 of them. This will add character to the white space.

It's hard to explain but if you have trouble getting your head round it I'll try and post a pencil drawing later today for you to look at.

Anyway, that is my own personal opinion and others may have different ways of looking at it.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors