A ways to go yet

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
This is a 7" x 10" piece of trophy brass that I stripped the lacquer off the back.

The lyrics are from I Believe one of my favorites. Doing this has been on my mind for quite a while. So it's time.

I am cutting it with a 90 square graver. Threading. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Jim Sackett

A ways to go yet.JPG

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks like you're off to a very good start. i salvage brass just like you. no reason not to. when you finish, i'll post the finished one in the archive, jim. be sure to give us a closeup too. thanks.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

I always admire good lettering and from what I can see yours looks very good. When you say "threading" what do you mean by that? Also, are you using a push graver or power assisted graver? Lastly, what is your process for getting the lettering laid out on the brass?

Thanks,

Roger

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Jim
The lettering looks very consistent. I have done a little lettering but nothing like that. I am impressed.
Rod

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you monk & Roger.

As it's finished up I'll take some photos of it, should be able to get more detail with that. Or dig into Coral Draw and see what I can do.

Roger I made the layout on my computer, reversed it printed it at normal setting on some vellum stock I have. Taped it down on the whited plate 'Chinese White' and lightly burnished the unprinted side of the vellum. To much pressure and it would smudge. To keep the ink from wiping off I sprayed it with hair spray. Then covered the lines I wasn't cutting with paper.

I use push gravers and a rubber thumb. The thumb rests on the piece to steady and control the graver.

Jim Sackett

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To answer your question about "threading" Roger, since Jim didn't mention it:

Threading is usually done on larger lettering and monograms to create mass in the stems of the letters. Before machines came along and forced engravers to compete this was a common practice.

To create the swell flare of the letter component you place a series of lines very close together to create texture and mass. This was also called closelining.

You create this swell with a flare cut on small lettering and this would be impossible on massive letters and monograms, hence the closelining or threading technique used by all engravers to do large lettering. An alternate to that would be crosshatching the interior of the outlined letter. They are beautiful techniques and create impressive results.
Hope this answers your question sufficiently. Sorry for butting in Jim.
Ron S

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Ron,

You explain threading much better than I would. I'm using it to develop a light touch. I'd love to do it with a bright cut but at this point don't think I have the strength or control.

Jim Sackett

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the explanation Ron. I will add it to my glossary of engraving terms. When I am doing larger letters I often use a narrow flat, like a 36-38 and wriggle the swells. On large letters or monograms I will someimes wriggle a liner in the swells or wide uprights which creates a sparkle or stipple effect depending on how I finish the piece..

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, that is the transition that came about with all of us older engravers who were around at that time, as a result of having to compete with machines. I began to do the same as you in order to cut down on time. I remember when pantagraph machines came on the scene and began to replace the need for hand engravers. Every small jewelry shop got one, and things changed rapidly. Engraving was only a trade then. Now it is an art. Thank goodness for the modern engravers sake.

It takes good control and much more time to do closelining or threading, therefore the need to speed things up to compete left these techniques behind. They have almost been forgotten due to impractibility I think. That is a shame because you can create beautiful styles with these techniques, particularly combined with bright cutting techniques, but survival is important when eating becomes a priority. Engravers from our period understand this very well, right?

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Right you are Ron.

Before I knew one end of a graver from the other I went to a jewelry store in Santa Maria, Calif. to have my sheriff's academy ring engraved. There was a tiny banner on one side and I asked them to have MCMXLIX engraved there. They sent the ring to Los Angeles where it was hand engraved in perfectly executed minute letters. I got it back in about a week. My bill $3.00!!! At the time I had no appreciation of what I had gotten for so little. Due to the shape and contours of the banner on the ring, there is no way this could have been done with a machine. If I would have asked for this job a few years later they would have simply said they couldn't do it (with their pantograph) and sent me on my way.

Latest posts

Sponsors