pneumatic diamond engraver

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't used that particular tool, but if you use any type of power assisted engraver (gravermax, Lindsay, etc..) it's very easy to make your own diamond point tool. Just set a .005ct diamond upside down in a piece of soft steel rod and then temper it.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gemsset, it doesn't look like it would be able to engrave except for maybe stipple lines or backgrounds, etc. It you have any other pneumatic engraver you could do the stipple with a carbide or steel point, or make the diamond tool that mbroder suggested. I don't think it would be a viable substitute for engraving, but I haven't tried it either. Good luck.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't used that particular tool, but if you use any type of power assisted engraver (gravermax, Lindsay, etc..) it's very easy to make your own diamond point tool. Just set a .005ct diamond upside down in a piece of soft steel rod and then temper it.

(Not to pirate the thread or get off the topic, but I am curious.)
Mark, how do the diamonds in the gravers hold up, are the points prone to fracturing? I use carbide for stippling background and they stay sharp but they do tend to chip off once in a while, so I am wondering if the diamond tips could be a better way to go or if simply sticking with the carbide is better?

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
(Not to pirate the thread or get off the topic, but I am curious.)
Mark, how do the diamonds in the gravers hold up, are the points prone to fracturing? I use carbide for stippling background and they stay sharp but they do tend to chip off once in a while, so I am wondering if the diamond tips could be a better way to go or if simply sticking with the carbide is better?

Hi Brian

I don't stipple all that often, but I've only had to replace the diamond once in the last 10 years. I don't work in steel though, only gold, platinum and silver.

Gemsset

interesting replies, thank you all for those.

I am working with the Gravermax so maybe I make something myself.

Chao

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've made a couple diamond tip tools for stippling. It tried using them on the background of a Ruger stainless that was miserably hard. The diamonds didn't hold up well at all. For soft metals they last a very long time.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
most of that diamond mtl that is retailed to us is probably industrial diamond, not gem stuff. i personally don't see any advantage of diamond over the other available points, either store-bought or home brew. unless you're workin on a rocket engine. jm2cw

Sponsors