Channel Setting Fun

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,

The new Magnum hand-piece has a lot of power because of the cobalt piston. It's heavier than the other
engraving style hand-pieces from GRS but it feels good. In this picture, I'm tightening the stone for the
final times before cleanup and polishing.

After tightening the tops of the channel are domed.

To clean this ring up is to simple run a file over the domed sections, sand, and polish.

The customer didn't like this ring but instead wanted the same thing in stacking ring style instead.
In other words three separate eternity rings. The jeweller put this ring in his show case and it
only lasted one hour before another custom bought it. Go figure. I happy because I have another
order. So it's been a good week.:D

If you like to read the rest of the story, go to: http://www.goldsmithing.com/showthread.php?t=264

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Jim. As a retailer that story is not very often reality. It's more like the other ring will sit forever. But you did such a good job the second customer couldn't resist.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mike, thanks. When it's worken for ya, it's working. I sure like it when one jobs spawns two or three
other jobs. I just love when the girls start to talk.

I was really happy with the performance of the new Magnum. I got a nice rounded crown on the channels.
It sure beats the hammer and chisel.

Talk to ya Later,
Jim

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Jim, Have you been setting stones with power for long? That would scare me to death. It seems that the sense of touch would not exist and you wouldn't know how much pressure to exert. I don't do that stuff much any more, but I wondered if the transition to power was easy.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
No, it takes time and caution to learn the technique. I still use hammer and chisel for any stone of high
value. If you slip and crush a half point Diamond, that's $4.00. If you slip on a Emerald that cost more than
you make a year, it could be the end of your company.

So I would say and still use myself a hammer and punch. There are others setters out there that just use
power but the tend to work for a company with big pockets. When it comes out of your own pocket'
you want all the angels on your side. It also helps to know the difference between Angels and Angles.
Talk to ya later,
Jim

steichman

Jim,
Can you explain the rounded channels? Is this the effect caused by closeing up your channel on the stones? it looks like i see an upset edge. I am guessing you set the inner stones first. Silly questions but i only do simple stone setting.

Steve

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been setting with my gravermax now gravermach since I got them about four years ago. I haven't pick up a hammer and chasing tool since. I love setting with it. It's easier more precise and controllable. Flattop bead and bezel setting is effortless. Channel setting is bit harder because the stones want to jump out. So I'll lightly burnish them in or use scotch tape. Then when they won't jump out I'll go in and put on a nice clean edge on. It seems to convert gold into putty under the microscope.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Jim, how many stones did you use on this ring and what size or they they look like 1.5mm?

Thanks for the show.

Ed

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Steve.
The bearing seats are made with the AllSet System and are V shaped groove along the walls of the channel.
If you think of the top of V like one long prong that gets bent down evenly to hold the stones.
That's why the top of the channel bars look round.

This is similar to inlaying metal into engraving with one big difference. Diamonds will not bend or compress
like 24k wire. So the tolerances have to be more exact. You can pinch them with the metal, just not
to much. They also have the irritating habit of tilting. So you have more variable to keep track of.

Talk to ya later,
Jim

Jim,
Can you explain the rounded channels? Is this the effect caused by closing up your channel on the stones? it looks like i see an upset edge. I am guessing you set the inner stones first. Silly questions but i only do simple stone setting.

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors