Titanium Ring? Help

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
How hard is titanium? Is it harder than 18k Mexican gold? A guy wants me to engrave the outside of a titanium ring. I've never cut titanium, being a push engraver I have my doubts.

Any answers appreciated.

Jim Sackett :confused:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Depends what type of titanium it is; some are softer than others. Some of that stuff is so tough I'd rather sit at a bench and repeatedly whack my hand with a meat tenderizing hammer than to fool with it. If you need practice sharpening, that would be a good way of creating the opportunity.

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Jim .. i engrave a lot of ti. and some times when i am out of my mind i will gold inlay it .. 6al4v is soft it can be engraved with out any trouble if you don't try to hog it and use a carbide/carbolt chisel .. ron p

rocketpilot

jim: i've machined the 6/4 you are talking about. its popular for machined parts because of its strength and non-corrosive properties. the most non-corrosive is CP or aka Commercially Pure, commonly used in heat exchangers for its weld ability and bend ability. it will definitely cut more easily than the 6/4 but may be a bit too gummy. give it a try and let us know.
craig

Latest posts

Sponsors