Key fob / Neclase

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a little project that I just finished, as an experiment with inlaying.

Attachments

• pendant.jpg.2.jpg
    pendant.jpg.2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 298

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
I like the design, try to keep the depth of your cuts more consistant. Proper sharpening & tool control along with practice and it (depth of cut) will get lots better. thanks for showing,
Kent

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you guys for the comments.
Ksnyder;
Thanks you, I'll explain below
Chris:
That tight twist, is the result of the frantic fumbler run amock.

Guys I am working under a big handicap right now, Have a cataract in one eye, and recovering from a detached retina in the other. Think about this, hold your an arm out in front of you, and one eye focuses on your finger tip, but fuzzy, the other focuses at your elbow. It definatley screws up your day,

Chris;
the way I did the twist, was to twist the wire tight, anneal, run thru the draw plate, anneal, retwist, aneal, then inlay.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Powderhorn

Well done!!! I really like the effect of the barber pole. Good on you for giving it a go. That's the way we all learn. You've got to get in there and go for it, get out of our comfort zones and push ourselves. That way your work will do nothing but improve. Keep at it and keep on enjoying and experimenting with it.

First attempts are always the hardest because at that stage you think you know what you are doing. By the second and third attempt you really do know what your doing as the mistakes of the first attempt become obvious. Been there, done that and still doing it!!! :)

Bummer about the eye problems. I really hope that they can be rectified for you. This getting older thing is a right royal pain in the backside as bits start packing up or doctors wanting to cut stuff out. I feel for you on that one.

Those GRS stainless pendants/key rings are nice to work on arn't they!!

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Chris;
I ran it thru the draw plate, just to get a smaller total wire gage. Although it does seem to displace metal and fill some of the area between the wires. Ether way, it inlays the same. Experiment with just copper and see how it does, you just will not be able to see the twist with 2 copper wires. And, yes, I have tried antiquing the copper, and it still will not show the twist. It is important to anneal after twisting, as the twisting does work harden it.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the way I did the twist, was to twist the wire tight, anneal, run thru the draw plate, anneal, retwist, aneal, then inlay.

Thank you!

I'm one of the people who've been wondering what it would do to the twist pattern if you ran it through a draw plate. Obviously the answer is: not much.

Now we just need someone to try twisting / annealing a pair, folding it over and twisting that together and drawing it down.

Sponsors