• Right Handed

Votes: 196 73.7%
  • Ambidextrous

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Tira, didn't know if you could add eye dominance or even want it as part of this thread.
And as you say, all this stuff is just interesting and not proof of anything.
But it's fun to know how many members have the same traits.
Best, John B.

Last edited:

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting thread, Tira. I voted ambidextrous as well.

I am left eye dominant but I write with my right hand. I shoot a rifle with my left hand, shoot a pistol with as well with either hand. I hammer as comfortably with either hand. I play pool left handed. And play guitar right handed. With power, I engrave right-handed. With H &C, I engrave left or right handed with equal mediocrity.

Given the evidence, I have to think that I was borne left-handed, but was forced to do things like eat and write with my right hand.

When I was younger I used to be more left-leaning politically speaking, but after I got a mortgage and a couple of kids, I started leaning more to the right!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
very interesting thread Tira, thanks for posting it. FWIW, I am right handed, but have no eye dominance, any of the various tests I am aware of will give a diffrent result 5 minutes later at a different object.

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Right handed and Right eyed for sure. My left eye is just along for the ride ever since I broke my head... if I try to use it I get double vision. Now THAT'S more than you ever wanted to know! ;{ )

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is interesting. I am left handed, left eye dominant and left footed even. As a child however, it was assumed I was right handed, so I was taught to bat right handed when playing baseball. After enough times seeing me take the hand-me-down glove off to throw, it was recognized I was a lefty. I play golf righty, swing a bat better righty, but could never write with my right hand.

Some things I have adapted to use my right hand as well as my left such as drinking from a glass or opening a liner lock knife.

I can only control a graver (using that term loosely) with my left hand.

Peter

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Put me down for left handed but right eye according to the test for eye domination
an interesting thought
several years ago my wedding ring caught on something it pulled my left hand ring finger out with the tendon still attached. The doctor said the tendon snapped off by the elbow.
my observation is that before this happened i did EVERYTHING left handed
after the accident i learned to adapt to using the right hand for a few things and to this day i still use my right hand more than before the accident
i guess we can all adapt if we need to
Dave

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am a total SPAZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz with my left hand. Some people say I am not much better with my right hand.
I think we should have a survey for "innies" or "outies" while we are at it. It just might make a difference.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, Tira,

If a person loses weight does an outie become and innie? Inquiring minds want to know.

Great survey! I think we’ll learn more than we want to.

I am left-handed and left-eye dominant and write, draw and engrave left-handed, but I play baseball, tennis, golf and shoot bow and arrow right-handed, shoot rifle and shotgun left-handed and shoot pistols with both. I score slightly better with the pistol in the right hand, using the left eye, but am competitive with either hand and either eye.

I fish with either hand, depending on the type of reel, play guitar and flute right-handed. Piano and typing are nearly impossible, due to cross-hand errors. How strange the human brain is. Or is it just mine?

But I do drive on the right side of the road. Andrew, it is fortunate that your driveway is 13,713 kilometers from mine.

Mike Fennell

d.soileau

Hello members! I was reading one of the other threads where some members were speaking about being left handed as opposed to right. Thinking back to many of the engravers I've meet in the last couple of years, there seems to be quite a few left handed engravers. I was wondering if there is more prevalence of left handedness in the engraving population than in the general population which averages about 7%. So... are you a lefty or righty?

im mostly lefty

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Right hand, right eye. I can shoot a pistol left handed because it was part of the qualification course when I was a cop but otherwise I'm right all the way (including political).

Foxjewel

I just took my first engraving class last month. I couldn't decide if it was easier left handed or right handed.

I have some push gravers and have attempted engraving with them several times over the past 2 decades only to stab myself and then stop trying to engrave. I figured it was because I was doing it with my right hand. - I now know, since I took a class last month, that I kept stabbing myself because my gravers weren't sharpened correctly. Yes, yes, I had read that success depends upon a graver being sharpened correctly, but I didn't think my gravers were "that" far off. Wrong! Ha, ha!

I am considered "left-handed" because I write with my left and eat with my left, but I do most other things with my right. During class I tried both..back and forth. I think engraving right handed is easier for me. But since I am just learning, I think I am going to continue learning with both hands since I already have a little arthritis in my right hand.

I am also left eye dominant.

I'm a newbie and am excited now that I've had an actual live class...and not just youtube videos and DVDs from "the big guy" here. I hope it's okay that I jumped into your threads and started posting. I'd been lurking for a few years.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
righty........but welding if your not left handed and do as good...........you'll be out of job!!!!!

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
righty........but welding if your not left handed and do as good...........you'll be out of job!!!!!

I know what you mean about welding! I had one welding job on a nuclear generating plant where I had to weld a bracket in place using a mirror, and it still had to be inspected and x-rayed.

Julessa Barnes

Right handed, but left-eye dominant. Comes in handy sometimes because I've had to learn to do a lot of things with both hands to get the job done.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Left handed for most important things, like eating, drinking,writing, engraving, but play most sports and music right-handed. Lefty on rifle and shotgun, ambidextrous on handgun, right-handed with a bow. Can switch-hit on any of them if necessary. Perhaps I am just confused.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
Yes sir Mr. Bigun.......I held the hanger cert and spent 9 months in the test both and 27 pipe certs. Work at the defunked Midland Nuclear Plant for 3.5 years and then for Chaney at the co-gen for 1.3 years. Not a bad drive 48-55 minutes one way from here.

Latest posts

Sponsors