Any info on husband wife team Shannon?

kevf7

I just purchased a beautiful S&W engraved by as I was told Mrs. Shannon from the Shreveport LA area. It has an S engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Kevf7.
I know from your post over on the FEGA forum that you want to find out more about the Shannons.
But you might want to edit your post to ask for information. Or have you found it already?
I was the one that advised you on your FEGA post to look for the help here as we have a few engravers including our host from the State of LA.

Best of luck with your search, John B.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I may be able to provide some information but I will need to see a picture of the work to help in the identification of the engraver. A picture is truly worth a thousand words in this case.

Roger Bleile

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kev, I knew a "Shannon" engraver that worked in the Cole agee style, but at that time I think he was in Arkansas. Are you familiar with that style? I haven't heard about or from him in years. Like Roger said, a picture would do wonders. Is that possible? and it needs to be of good enough quality to see detail.
Ron S

panhead

walter shannon

I knew Walter. He retired from the railroad and moved to Waldron Ark. in the 70s. All his work has a S on the trigger guard. He has quite a following locally. I have a s&w 357 in wood presentation box. Dated 1972 its unfired with papers. Turned down $3000 at the local.pawn shop.hope this helps

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Turned down $3000 at the local.pawn shop.
Not to hijack this thread, but unless one is really hard up for money, why would one try to sell something at a pawn shop knowing they will only get a fraction of its true value?

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This thread is interesting on a couple of levels. First, my #1 pet peeve is the "hit and Run" poster. This kevf7 posts and never returned to receive an answer in seven years.

Second, When I responded to the OP, I knew something about Walter Shannon but was trying to get him to post a picture of the gun before further comment. As Ron wrote, Shannon worked in a style very similar to that of Cole Agee, however there are distinct differences. Back in the 1970s, I engraved guns for a purveyor named Bob Whitlow who had various engravers cut pistols for him then resold them. Bob was from Tennessee and made a circuit of gun shows selling these engraved guns and picking up work from engravers. One of Bob's engravers Was Walter Shannon. Bob always called him Mr. Shannon, probably in deference to Shannon's age. I became very familiar with Shannon's style since I always examined all of Bob's guns carefully. It wasn't until years later that I learned that Shannon's name was Walter. It is my understanding that Walter lived in Palestine, Texas. This is the first, I have read that he was from Arkansas.

I have posted a picture of a gold plated SAA that Walter engraved. On this piece he stamped on the ejector rod housing "ENGRAVED BY SHANNON."

Attachments

• #155036-Walter Shannon engr.-Lcu.jpg
    #155036-Walter Shannon engr.-Lcu.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 162
  • #155036-Walter Shannon engr.-sig.jpg
    #155036-Walter Shannon engr.-sig.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 159
  • #155036-Walter Shannon engr.-R.jpg
    #155036-Walter Shannon engr.-R.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 160

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
I understand that Walter is no longer with us. I found one of his engraved revolovers in a Russellville, Arkansas pawn shop and purchased it last year. It is a Smith and Wesson 66 2 1/2 round butt. Will try and post a pick soon.
I did also hear that his wife had engraved some pieces at one point.

Latest posts

Sponsors