annette tied me up again

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no, not for that ! my son comissioned yet another engraving. a snuff box. he now owes about $24,000 us.

Attachments

• JAYCAN1.JPG
    JAYCAN1.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 247

tnartist05

Another very neat snuff box Monk! Hey you are lucky?? My wife dont tie me up just locks me,the dog and cat in the closet in the mornings when she leaves for work,think thats why my photo came out a little fuzzy!

Again,such good work from you always,Tn~

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hey monk .... those horizontal lines look great. Gives that lettering old-timey character.

You just gotta clean up those scribe lines a bit. Hit it with some 2000 grit then a soft buffing wheel. The buffing wheel can be tricky with small stuff ... I've bounced a few things at "buffer speed" off three walls including the ceiling. Dunno ... just can't seem to break past that 3 wall bounce.:)

Some Norton 4/0 paper and a little silver/brass polish will do just fine by hand.

Chris

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks neat monk!

I'm with Jim - how about a close up so we can see the details of how you did the circles?

monk

Staff member
i'll try to do a closeup. the rope effect is done with a #39 flat, using power.start with the tool almost straight up, and move it forward. as you're cutting forward, roll the tool over maybe 2/3 of its' width, then roll back till it is almost straight up. continue doing this cut without interruption if you can. as the tool goes forward you constantly roll it back ant forth. very easy to do.
as for buffing, i don't own a buffer. but i might give this a try.i mean the hand way. chris where do you buy 2k grit paper ?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk

So one side of the 'rope' stays straight (ok, curved) and the other moves in and out in a sine wave as you roll the flat from vertical towards horizontal?

And I've found 2K grit paper at the local auto parts store - but only some of them have the high-grit stuff. It's the painting / refinishing section if they have it.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for that info Monk, I'm gonna try it. When I ordered my gravers and sharpening stones I also got an assortment of emery cloth and paper. The finest I have is a Norton o2 paper and 1500 grit silicon carbide. I got it from Cronite they showed a large selection. The 2o polishes brass by hand.

Jim Sackett

monk

Staff member
jim, this is not a blowup of the snuff box, but this is a good peek at what the cut looks like.

Attachments

• #30.JPG
    #30.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 82

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
sandpaper

You can get 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sand papers at any auto parts store. Try NAPA, Checker, O'Rily, or hotrod shop. It's wet/dry and works good. You can also order it from Rio Grande. Seth

monk

Staff member
rex nick & dot : don't know

WELL, THERE'S no dot for 1 thing. just a continuous cut. shown here, is the same cut interrupted with dots. but i don't know how close this is to the one rex does. i have about 34 plates like this cut for samples that i show to people. if i knew how to put them all in the tips archive i would put them there.

Attachments

• #16.JPG
    #16.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
You can get 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sand papers at any auto parts store. Try NAPA, Checker, O'Rily, or hotrod shop. It's wet/dry and works good. You can also order it from Rio Grande. Seth

tyvm, there's one of those joints 2 blocks from where i live. thanx

Latest posts

Sponsors