Resources for "Primitive" engraving

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm looking for resources for examples of engraving on early flintlock firearms. I need study material for an upcoming project.

Thanks,

Bill

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Bill , most of the books by Shumway (do a internet search) have lots of photos of 18th cent. rifles . I have the book for the "lancaster" and Northhampton , plus Virginia guns.
These are the "Bibles" for gun builders imho.
Kent

LRB

You will have to look in books, and some of the muzzleloading boards. Try AmericanLongrifles.com. You can also go back a few pages and see a good example in Cody's picture post of engraving he did on a brass capper.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bill,
It's too bad you are not going to attend the Antique Firearms show in Las Vegas this Friday, Sat, and Sun. A digital camera and 4 hours of your time could produce the greatest study material you could hope for. Even Tom Selick goes to this show. I'll be there and thinking about you when I study these firearms. I hope this doesn't sound like a downer. I just was pitching for how fun the show is. John B. can vouch for this one.
Regards, Glenn

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
big-un are you still looking.I have a stack of muzzleblast mags you can have for the cheep price of take them.they have pictures of some antique flintlocks.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be sure to check into the resources listed.

I will miss the show in Reno due to Miss Mary's broken foot, but plan on attending next year. Now I have another reason to attend!

David, Ill take those mags off your hands when we get together at Ken's place.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Gentlemen..Muzzle Loader Enthusiasts,

There is a show in put on by the Maryland Arms Collectors Assoc...March 17-18, 2007 at the Fairgounds in Tinonium,Maryland. There is also a get-to-gether just for muzzle loader enthusiasts at Dixon's Muzzle Loaders Shop in Kepton, PA the last week-end in July...everything and anything muzzle loader! You can camp out free right on the property. Keep up the good work everybody.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Give me a couple of beers and some gravers and I'll show you some primitive engraving.:p

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Big-un, what kind of flintlock project are you working on?. Is it an american longrifle, english, french, german etc?.

Cody

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Suzy at Muzzle Loader Builders Supply has a booklet of patch box designs that have the engraving sketched in that you may want to look at, she has a web site. The sketches are a little crude but the patch boxes are to scale and can easily be copied to make your own designs. Shumway's books I think have the best examples and I could not and would not be without mine, they are rather expensive but worth every penny.

JTR

Big-Un,
I just introduced myself here a few minutes ago, but thought I would add here that I have lots of high res pictures of longrifles on my computer, many of engraved patchboxes, toe plates, side plates, etc, and would be happy to e-mail you some to study, until you can get your library together.
John

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the replies.

Cody, the gun is a replica "Charleyville" .69 cal musket that I thought I would dress up some. I know that this is a military firearm and very few, if any, were decorated.

Bama, I'll contact them and see what is available.

JTR, anything you can e-mail to me would be a great start. E-mail me at Moody97@earthlink.net

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
primitive engraving`

i have an excellent book for sale. lots of fotos. title:
kentucky rifle patchboxes &barrel marks by roy f. chandler. this book is not in the pristine shape that book collectors are looking for. but, if you're looking for very good fotos of the old work, this is a good source.
am asking $20.00 = abuck or 2 for shipping monk

Latest posts

Sponsors