Playing with Titanium

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Dmitry,

I bought Ti here in Estonia from one local supplier (5 minute walk from where I live, lucky me) who gets it from Russia. Price is quite reasonable - about $35 USD for 1 kg. But as the things are with Russia, they have no idea what kind of Ti it is. I bought 3mm and 1.5mm sheets and only 3mm was engrave-able.

I believe there are many local suppliers in Latvia too, you could call them. Ordering 'western' Ti gets very expensive very fast.

P.S. It's a lot of supplyers with different prices, sizes and minimum amount of purchasing. Where do you buy Ti in Europe?

One easy way to build anodizer is to use regular lights dimmer, in Europe it's good up to at least 230V. So all you need is the dimmer with diode bridge, if you have more money, then one capacitor to smooth out the rectified DC. But that's not that necessary actually.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
<insert appropriate safety warnings here regarding using higher power annodizing equipment>

Yes, exactly. Use common sense :)

230V will make you jump, so you'll have to isolate everything etc. But anyone with even a little experience can build it with no problems.

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Dmitry, I can ask my local supplier if you'd like. On their web they list Ti in 1.2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 mm thickness sheets. I can call them and ask what they have in store and how much it costs. Or if you speak Russian, you could even call them yourself. Their Russian page is here: http://www.enimormet.ee/Novosti.htm

Probably it would be cheaper to send it from Estonia than from Denmark.

But if the supplier from Denmark is good and cheap, then I'd be interested about it too :)

that's the problem vilts, we don't have any suppliers in Latvia. I will try to contact some guys in Denmark.

Last edited:

Sponsors