Progress

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Jim, I think the basic scroll pattern is ok, but the leaves need help. They need to flow in the direction of the scroll and be simplified somewhat, ie. , maybe one or two features for leaf curling in the direction of the scroll and be sure to give the scroll backbone even width as it winds around.
There are many here more talented than I, perhaps they will chime in.
keep drawing, I think you have the basic understanding, it just needs some tweaking.
Kent

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Jim - Are you drawing your designs on paper and then scanning them into your computer or are you using a photo editing program and actually drawing on the computer by use of the mouse?

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
I started out by sketching the whole thing, three or four sketches. Scanned the best one and reworked it on MS Paint. Picked the best scroll copied it reversed it resized it for the other three scrolls.

A problem I have is the image gets dirty with floting specks all over, it begins to over power the image. So I redraw with paint, and light scan it this elimanates most of the dots.

I know there has to be a better way I just haven't learned it yet. I purchased Coral Draw a while back but am still studing it.

Jim Sackett

Thank you Mike & KS

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
Forget about using the computer to manipulte the scrolls. Draw them. Draw the reverse image as well. The time it takes to mess around with a computer program, you can draw the scrolls. One of the main reasons I say this is it will give you more practice drawing. I am the first to say the computer is wonderful thing but there is no subsitute for drawing.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Keep drawing. Wear out a couple of pencils!!!
:)
That's the only way you will get it right.
Do you have either of Ron Smith's books? I would strongly suggest either.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a pretty good design Jim. A suggestion I would have is, now black in the background. It will show you imbalances in the design. I also would suggest adding another leaf in each spiral and you might see this when you black your background. It will also expose enemic areas. Pay attention to leaf balance and background balance.

But like Rex said. you will always try and use the computer for a crutch unless you get structure down on pencil and paper first. No one is going to tell you that it is easy, but everyone is correct about drawing. It is the most important thing in any engraving. You will be glad that you got it because you will not be limited by having to learn how to use a computer program that also requires you to be able to design.
Ron S

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Tracing paper works great. You can trace over your previous design while refining it. When you get a perfect scroll, you can flip the tracing paper over and use it to make your next scroll on your refined trace. You go through a number of sheets but it's a heckuva lot easier than starting over on a new drawing.

The computer is sooooo over-rated.

Sponsors