+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky Patch Box

This is a simple design compared to Cody's Box but I wanted to share it with the crew here. This is the first box I have cut with my GRS GraverMach, 901 handpiece, 120 degree square. I did a little engraving on the lock plate and even inlaid a little copper wire. I hope you all enjoy and any comments to help me along will be appreciated.

Thanks for all the kind words. The butt plate, side plate and trigger guard are copies off of an original rifle that I think dates from the 1750 time frame. These were used on several rifles built in that time frame. If you look at Shumways CRA books you will see this same furniture with the engraving cast in on several rifles. I built this rifle for a gentelman in California and he requested that this furniture be used. This is a big rifle, 14 3/4" pull, LC Rice 54 cal 44" 1 1/8" @ breech barrel. I am sorry I don't have pictures of the full rifle but I do have one of the cheek side carving. Again I hope all enjoy it.

Last edited by Bama; 05-07-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: update with more pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A very nice design and well executed, but...let's see the rest ov that Verner Rifle.
    Tollerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Jim! Looks very nice.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

nice & clean. nothin evil there ! nice lookin border work !

Post Thanks / Like

think them tools are workin' out splendid! very nice clean design that fits that side opener box.
    I'm curious though, how did a fowler butt plate end up on a Verner/ Bucks co. rifle?
    watch yer back trail,
    Kent

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice execution and design, I especially like the border. Very fitting design for the time period.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!! Eye catching simplicity. I think you did very well. Thanks so much for showing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama,
    I agree... very nice. It looks like it was made in the 1700's
    Dennis Reigel
    (dull tool)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks wonderfull. As far as suggestiond go, I have one. You may consider highlighting the cuts. I use 44-40 cold blue but I suspect any cold blue will blacken brass. The reason I suggest it is obviously it makes the engraveing stand out but more importantly, it allows you to get a better picture of what you have. After highlighting my engraveing, I invariably see something I missed or a cut that needs to be improved. I typically go back 3 or 4 times to do touch ups. IMO it look much better highlighted as well.