A Tutorial on How to Draw for Beginners

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gosh NevadaBlue, I didn't mean to intimidate any one. Sorry!! Ha Ha!
Ron S

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK Andrew.

That did it.............I'm not helping you with your scrolls anymore !!!!!!!!!!!

it's time you started helping me Old Friend

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think one of the most valuable pieces of info Andrew has given here is the concept of multiple thumbnail sketches.

I see a lot of new engravers who get frustrated because they can't just sit down and draw a scroll design for a project right off. I usually get some puzzled looks when I tell them I can't either. The initial process of finding the best arrangement is a trial and error process. Now that can be guided by experience or knowing what a good design should look like but it is still a trial and error process of trying several things and stepping back to see which option shows the most promise.

I try to make it a rule not to go with the first thing I draw even if I like it. That forces me to try alternative layouts. I may end up choosing to use the first one but it is always a good practice to try several and pick the best.

Ray

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For the benefit of Jim and others struggeling with scroll designs, I would like to point out something on Jim's original design that I often see beginners attempt. If you will look at Andrew's picture of Jim's original with the written notes, look at the scroll with an arrow pointing to it noted "SCROLL OVER EXTENDED." This design is what I call a "C" scroll where two scrolls are joined together by a common, extended backbone. Only a master of scroll design can make a "C" scroll look right and even then it is rarely done. You will also note that Andrew did away with the "C" scroll and broke it down into 2 scrolls rolling off each other in alternating directions. I believe this one point can save lots of frustration with your designs.

Andrew: Thanks for this excellent tutorial. It will be of great help for those wise enough to apply it.

Roger

tldcowboygear

Confusion

First of all, Andrew, thank you for this tutorial. It is an extended version of your advice to me in another thread and this tutorial makes it much clearer. I have not posted any further drawings because of little to no improvement but I keep working at it.

Roger, one thing i am not sure that I understand. C scrolls? I understand the concept but not the fact that Andrew did away with them. It looks like Andrew actually broke the two extended C scrolls into 4 more compact C scrolls. Am I missing the definition of C scrolls?

D.C.

NevadaBlue

Ron, I ordered your book along with my tools and I was completely lost, overloaded. The book got to me first. :) Of course, I wasn't being negative about your book, I just was not ready for it yet. It is right here by me now and I'll continue to refer to it. Thank you for writing it. I actually started drawing scrolls using your guidelines before I got my tools, but drawing is not one of my skills... yet.

longranger

I've had Ron Smith's advanced scroll design class, I am hopelessly L-handed and had to transfer R-handed style to L-hand. Needless to say It took some time!
Mr. Biggs your instruction is is very helpful, thank you all who share your experience with us beginners.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
My latest 'c' scroll

Not wanting to be a copy cat, but yet use Andrews suggestions I've come up with this. Am still working on it, need a lot.

I'm having trouble with the thumbnail sketching, I get caught up in refining what I've sketched. I think I'm learning about how ever thing relates to each other. Make one change need to change every thing else. Very slow process.

Jim Sackett

05-07-2008 11;25;44PM.JPG

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew,
Great tutorial...
I along with so many need to draw more and at some point accept a scroll design and cut it and stop being so pickey at my scroll design...
Jerry

Tezash

I have learned very important lesson from your tutorial, Thank you Andrew.
Tez.

Andrew Biggs

Not wanting to be a copy cat, but yet use Andrews suggestions I've come up with this. Am still working on it, need a lot.

I'm having trouble with the thumbnail sketching, I get caught up in refining what I've sketched. I think I'm learning about how ever thing relates to each other. Make one change need to change every thing else. Very slow process.

Jim Sackett

Hi Jim

Yip, it can be a slow process but your thinking is heading along the right lines. Just remember Rome wasn't built in a day..........just keep at it and it will start coming together. Everyone has there own speed at doing things............just enjoy each success as it comes along!!!

I like your "Aviator" as well :)

Cheers
Andrew

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the great tutorial, Andrew! Could someone possibly move it to the tips and techniques forum?
I did a number of sketches for my ideas, but as some of the guys said (me included) we put to much detail into the thumbnail sketches. Thanks again, Andrew!

Andrew Biggs

Hi pappy

That's a very important point................."putting too much detail in the thumbnails"

Get your basic scroll and backbone/skeletal done first...................if that's correct............then the leaves tend to take care of themselves (well sort of) with some fine tuning to the design.

In the next issue of the FEGA Engraver magazine there is going to be a feature spread of 4 top American engravers. Rex Pedersen, Ron Smith, Sam Welch and Marty Rabeno all giving their ideas and views, accomanied by drawings, about the thought process of a design on a shotgun action............an issue not to be missed!!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew...

You have retraced in a few seconds what I have taken years to discover...thank you...even this Old Dog has learned a few new tricks thanks to this great thread...make for a very good day !

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Andrew for the tutorial.
I am, was, one of those convinced that draughtsmen are born with a gift. Your tutorial convinces me that we can all learn to be at least competent.
The sequence you show is very helpful.
Kevin P.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, that is a great tutorial. I was in the process of making one up for a high school student I am mentoring and voila!, there's one looking at me! Hope you don't mind if I use it for her to study. And me too!

Bill

Sponsors