EITH - Engraving In The Hat

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hey guys - I was gone for awhile, so wasn't able to keep up with this thread.

Did it ever happen?

Yes, it is actually happening right now. If you want to join, please feel free. Engraving must be finished by the end of June.

Is it too late to participate? Would it be politically correct to embellish with a stone or do you want just engraving?

It's not too late. Embellishing with stone is OK as long as there's engraving too :)

Viljo

Danny C

OK - so the end result is: Engrave "anything" and send it on - or engrave on something that is passed from one to another?

Who sends what to whom?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Danny

As I understand it, it's "Engrave anything at least 1 square inch" and somone (probably Vilts) will draw names from a hat and tell us who to send to. Everyone sends one out, everyone gets one back, no one (other than the moderator) knows who's getting what, although it was suggested that we post pictures of what we're sending out so everyone gets to see everything.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Got mine done! :)

But, for the 'front' I tried out some new things (for me) and I'm not as pleased with them as I could be (are we ever?). So I'm going to give the group a choice between the piece I 'officially' did for the exchange and another piece I did just for myself.

Here's the 'official' piece:
Front:
(click to enlarge)
Back:
(click to enlarge)

And here's the alternate piece:
(click to enlarge) This is about 1.5" tall.

So, those of you participating, which one would you rather get if you're the person I wind up sending my entry to?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Danny

It's not actually sculpted but it gives a hint of it - it's just flat copper sheet but I did what I could with the shading to give it shape, including rolling the 120 on the mainline cuts.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Danny, Steve got it exactly right. When the time is out I put all the names in the hat (it is after all engraving in the hat) and draw them. The order they come from the hat will be the order people start sending stuff to each other.

Steve, that tree-ish thing looks very cool. Whoever gets it will probably be very happy about it :)

Viljo

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like I'll have to grab another bit from my scrap bag for myself.

Someone had posted a pendant where they did the 'cut to the outline' thing here and I liked it enough I kept the idea in the back of my head until I got a chance to try it. That came out well enough I did it again bigger (the one pictured here). Obviously I have to do some more of these.

Actually, I do have to do some more - I owe the ever-indulgent wife a pair of silver earrings in this style.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Attention-Attention!

Today is the last chance to finish up your engravings :)

Everybody please let me know of your status tomorrow, 1st of July 2008, whether you're done or need 5 more minutes. Then I can generate the random list and we can ship out our art.

Thanks!
Viljo

Ron White

Ron Wite

Who would be interested in participating in a game called EITH - Engraving In The Hat. Basically all this is - you engrave something on a plate, send it to somebody and receive an engraving from somebody (maybe same guy/gal, maybe somebody else).

Rules:
  1. Everybody can participate, every skill level is accepted. This is for fun and mainly for the joy of giving and learning.
  2. Use whatever engraving style you're comfortable with or want to explore more.
  3. Participant must engrave his/her own original design at his/her best skill level.
  4. Participant must engrave his/her name and completion date somewhere. The text could be a central design element, or just tiny text somewhere on the border.
  5. Engraving size: minimum 1 square inch, no max.
  6. Everybody who takes part in the game, must send his/her engraving to other participant assigned to him/her (by random) at his/her own expense.
  7. Everybody who participates, receives engraving from some other participant for free.
  8. If possible, post your designs, sketches and/or blunders to forum, it would be a wonderful resource to see and learn.
  9. Deadline: by 30th of June the engravings must be finished.

Everybody who is interested please sign up in this thread.

Participants, please list your name and country:

1. Viljo, Estonia
  2. Jim, USA
  3. Mike, USA
  4. Dave, USA
  5. Jim Sackett, USA
  6. Steve, USA
  7. Joe Paonessa, USA
  8. Villu, Estonia
  9. Fred Marrinan
  10. Dennis Reigel, USA
  11. autumnwinds44, USA

Hi, I'am a new kid on the block, Not the engraving block!
sorry I missed out on puting some thing in the hat, hope you do another round. Ron White,USA

Ron White

Attention-Attention!

Today is the last chance to finish up your engravings :)

Everybody please let me know of your status tomorrow, 1st of July 2008, whether you're done or need 5 more minutes. Then I can generate the random list and we can ship out our art.

Thanks!
Viljo
Vilts, I,am a not a new kid on the block, but I,am new Cafe member. sorry I learned so late about the name in the hat, would like to have taken part, maybe next time!
Ron White

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Mine is finished :)

Not too happy about it, but the purpose of this EITH was to learn and experiment. That's what I did too.

Viljo

Attachments

• eith_engraved.jpg
    eith_engraved.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 90

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So Vilts, should we all send you our mailing addresses (so what we get is a complete surprise) or will you just tell us who to PM for their mailing address?

And Autumnwinds44] - I like that lion!