grs knife holder or ???????

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Has anyone use Bondo? I know Bob Evans uses them when I visited him.

Thermo-loc and/or JettSett has almost completely replaced bondo, for a number of reasons. i very rarely encounter a specialized situation where i need to make a permanent, heat-resistant form and i'll still use it, but otherwise have completely switched over to low-temp thermosets.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon Lister uses bondo, still have my fixture he made for me when i took a one on one class with him.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I use TLoc too...same as most have mentioned. Tho for a knife that I can take apart - I first place a couple of sticks on the board and start heating it with a heat gun...moving heat around until it TLoc is nice and soft. Then I lay down a layer of plastic grocery bag and press the knife scale into the warm TLoc. Continue pressing into the TLoc. It will kinda oozes up around the sides of the knife scale. Now it is still gonna be warm / hot so be careful not to get burned but I push it around the edge of the knife scale but keeping it below the top surface. Once cooled then I just pry out the scale and now you have a mold that can be used numerous times. This fixture was use twenty times and stills works good. I did add a couple of drywall screws to really secure it, tho the TLoc worked just fine.

IMG_8149.jpg

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love Thermoloc save for one characteristic. If the jig made with it is too thick it can be bouncy. You can negate this somewhat with a little planning. I like to keep the base thin so the piece is closer to the vise jaws.

Latest posts

Sponsors