Gold Suppliers

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Help!

I'm finally ready to try gold inlay I've ordered the carbide drawplate but I can't find any 20 ga. 24k gold sheet or wire (in the recommended 18 ga.)! I've tried Rio Grande, Hoover & Strong, and United Precious Metals. Stuller's website is non-operable! I've run-out of ideas. All of these sites have 22k gold in the above gauges, but all the info I've gathered from Sam and you guys, is that 24k is the only way to go.

Any ideas?

Mark

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mark,

You might tryT.B. Hagstoz. They have a website but you still have to order by phone: http://www.hagstoz.com/
Another source is Ray Viramontez at:sgtvira@aol.com Ray is a fine engraver, FEGA member and also sells gold (according to his ad in the FEGA newsletter). You can find out more about him at the FEGA website.
Hope that helps,

Weldon Lister

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc...Ray is a good source for gold, and he has given me some great advice on engraving over the years. I wish somebody would let Ray know about this website..his input would be very valuable.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys,

Sam, Hoover and Strong didn't have 24k listed on the website in 18ga. but they were closed for the holidays so I couldn't call. And Stuller's website was still "frozen" last night.

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Doc , I have been buying from H&S for over 29 years. They will sell you 24 ct. gold wire in any dia. you ask for. The last time I called to price 22 carat gols sheet , they told me the price for 22 was higher than 24 because it had to be alloyed ---- 24 is cheaper. I suggest you buy the largest dia, you can pull thru your draw plate so you can get the different dia. you might want/need. Give me a call sometime and we can talk. Also, I have about 7 or 8 guys that are going to visit me the latter part of Jan. for an engravers get together where we'll lie and talk shop. If you'd care to join us, I live about two and a half hours south of you ( 20 miles north of Greenville, N.C.) It promises to be a good time. We will first go to a BBQ rest. and pig out on ribs and such, do a lot of talking followed up by coming by the shop. Please let me know if interested in joining us. Ken 910-221-5288

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken,

Sounds like a great idea. Let me know when you guys are getting together and I'll ask the boss if it's ok to go. Seriously, thanks for the info and the invite, I would love to pick the brains of anyone who's been doing this for a while. I have found no one in this area that is involved with engraving. The internet and this site particularly, has been a god-send for beginners like myself. I'll call Hoover and Strong Jan. 2nd and order from them.

Mark

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
Ben Shelor is outside of Richmond along with another student of mine (girl got married & changed name), Bill Tayloe who lives somwhere in the Newport News area and Bob ? in Va. Beach. There is also JJ Roberts in Manassas & another guy in Winchester. Of course, The Lynchburg area is lousy with engravers as that is where I had my engraving co. I would suggest you call me as I don't do well with keeping up with email. Ken

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Forgot some things... you get that way when you're tired.

You only really need a fairly smoothly polished hammer and something to cut with, to turn a bullion coin into sheet and wire. We get so used to all the tools we have available nowadays that we forget that this was done for centuries without them...

To make sheet, simply work your way evenly around the coin - hammering from the center outwards. Make sure your anvil surface is clean and smooth... Anneal periodically if you want to speed the process.

A sheet metal gauge, mm gauge, micrometer or other measuring instrument would be nice to have, but I'm sure that the Aztecs got by without them...

Making wire from the coin would be faster with the drawplate, but I believe you said you had that? Then beg, borrow, or otherwise get hold of something that will shear the coin into strips.

A metal shear designed for the purpose would be nice, Failing that, you could cut strips off the coin with a large pair of aviation snips. Another choice, although one requiring sweat - would be to use a jewelers frame saw. High karat gold is pretty gummy to cut with a fine sawblade but it can be done. If you hammer the coin evenly down to about 16 gauge - it shouldn't be hard to do.

With roughly 16 gauge square strips to start with - file your taper, and start drawing to the desired wire gauge.

I have seen strips cut from coins to make wire in Mexico, using a very sharp chisel - but I hesitate to recommend that as much as one of the previous methods.

Round wire can be hammered out without using a drawplate, but that is a skill that takes time to acquire.

Sorry my mind was disengaged when I wrote the first response...

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School, Stockton, CA - USA
instructor@jewelryartschool.com - 209-477-0550

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Winston Churchill uses sheet gold only. When he needs to inlay a gold line, he uses common tin snips to cut thin pieces from the sheet. The Colt SAA he recently finished includes gold borders the thickness of a human hair.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Freshly melted 24k has the feel of stiff putty and can be move into a cavity easily like a line or hole. Once it's
work hardened, it has a better engraving feel. It still requires a light touch or you can plunge right though it
when engraving.

For those new to engraving and haven't tried 24k.

Latest posts

Sponsors