book section /photos

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Roger, you havent duplicated anything i own, and this thread helps our members truly see what is out there and what to look for. hopefully, others will rummage around the home and post them here. Roger thats a very nice collection. i havent seen them myself until this day. thank you for taking the time to post them.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some more books

* Here is Prudhomme's Gun Engraving Review (original edition) with a somewhat tattered dust cover and American Engravers. These 2 books are the first and second works that mainly focused on the engraving being done in the USA.
* LD Nimschke (original Edition)
* Master French Gunsmith's Designs of the XVII-XIX Centuries. This is the rarest book on gun engraving I have. There were only 1500 copies printed. I show the title page because the cover is quite plain and does not read well in a photo.
* 2 publications from FEGA

Attachments

• books2.jpg
    books2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 140
  • books3.jpg
    books3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 150
  • books16-1.jpg
    books16-1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 188
  • books23.jpg
    books23.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 177

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
More engraving books

* The Book of Winchester Engraving and the later Winghester Engraving, both by RLW.
* Ruger #1 by Clayton. I contributed some material for this book and J.D.Clayton was helpful in getting FEGA incorporated. The Winchester Book by Madis. Good for seeing factory pattern engraving though all B&W.
* The Browning Superposed which is full of engraved Superposeds including as yet unengraved patterns. The Parker book by Larry Baer shows much factory engraving.
* Complements of Col. Ruger illustrates the history of early engraved Rugers by Charles Jarred and Ray Viramontez. Gun Engraving by Austyn deals with British work, especially Harry Kell and Jack Sumner. A series of correspondance between Sumner and various gunmakers is very interesting.

Attachments

• books5.jpg
    books5.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 99
  • books17.jpg
    books17.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 98
  • books14.jpg
    books14.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 95
  • books6.jpg
    books6.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some Great Italian Engraving books

* The first of Mario Abbiatico's books on Italian engraving Grandi Incissioni Su Armi Da Oggi (great engraving of today's guns). This book from about 1977 first exposed we American engravers to the word "bulino" and we were bowled over by what we saw. L'incisione della Armi Sportive (engraving of sporting guns) is still a who's who of the world of gun engravers. Both of these books are in Italian only.
* Modern Firearms Engraving Shows Italian work in English for the first time. Alpini - una leggenda, un fucile (alpine regiment, the leggend and the gun) in Italian shows a lavishly engraved shotgun dedicated to Abbiatico's old military unit the Alpini.
* Creative Art by Marco Nobili shows the work of the famous Italian studio of engraving artists. Il Fucile a Canni Esterni (external hammer guns) shows Italian work on shotguns with exposed hammers. I have never seen another copy of this book by Gianberto Lupi.
* Three different editions of Il Grande Libro Delle Incisioni (The great book of engraving) by Nobili. In Italian and somewhat stilted but understandable English.

Attachments

• books7.jpg
    books7.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 122
  • books8.jpg
    books8.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 117
  • books11.jpg
    books11.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 130
  • books10.jpg
    books10.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 132

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Various international engraving books

* Kunstlerische Waffen Gravuren Ferlacher Meister (artistic weapon engraving of the Ferlach masters) In German only. Much high relief, sculpted engraving from Austria including work by the late great Albin Obiltschnig. Austrian & German Guns and Rifles, in English, though not specifically an engraving book is full of engraved works.
* Gravure Modern de Saint-Etienne (modern engraving of Saint Etienne, France) in French, shows some of the most unusual styles ever found on a gun. Picasso would be proud! Gravures de Armes de Chasse (engraved hunting guns) in French is the French language version of Gun Engraving by Sabatti & Gaier. Fabulous work by some of the modern greats including Coggin and Lovenberg as well as the history of gun decoration.
* Fine European Gunmakers is not devoted to engraving but nearly every gun shown is engraved. British Gun Engraving shows the most beautiful work from Great Brittan.
* Ruger and His Guns by RLW has a few engraved pieces mainly by Paul Lantuch who at one time worked exclusively for Bill Ruger. The World of Beretta by RLW shows many factory pattern and custom Beretta engravings.

Attachments

• books12.jpg
    books12.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 103
  • books15.jpg
    books15.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 94
  • books20.jpg
    books20.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 91
  • books18.jpg
    books18.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 95

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
German Engraving

* Shuler Luxusgewere (deluxe guns of Suhl, Germany) and Shuler Waffkunst (Suhl's artistic weapons) both in German show fabulous German engraving and stock carving. All this work is done in one town, Suhl.
* Alte Scheibenwaffen volume 1 &2 (in English) shows dozens of beautifully engraved, etched and carved German target rifles from the days of the Schutzenfest. Great pictures and very interesting history behind schutzen rifles.

Attachments

• books21.jpg
    books21.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 91
  • books20.jpg
    books20.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Various double gun books full of engraved pieces

* Lots of double gun books that feature engraved works. That's it for tonight. I may post some more later unless you have had your fill of books picturing engraved guns.

Roger

Attachments

• books25.jpg
    books25.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 91
  • books26.jpg
    books26.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 91
  • books27.jpg
    books27.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 100
  • books28.jpg
    books28.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 98

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, had my fill??? no; you wetted my appetite for more. I was just telling Monk that sometimes as engravers, we lack motivation due to loss of inspiration, that ideas dont grow on trees ; that ideas only grow in our minds. books open doors , they let a person see things that other people see with their eyes, what their thoughts were. when we click onto this forum, we see alot of diverse ideas, things that we have overlooked in our travels but others caught onto right away.

Attachments

• 100_0734 shotguns by keith.jpg
    100_0734 shotguns by keith.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 112

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
While at the gun show yesterday setting up my table..Tommy the book dealer walked by and said, "JJ I got a new engraving book you might be interested in"...so I finally caught up with Pedersoli..beautiful book. When I got home last night I started to read it, especially about his early days in school which I could relate to..I too was very bored with math and other subjects. We had an art teacher, Miss Henry, who used to spend one hour a week in each class..that was the extent of our art lessons. There are a lot of wonderful books out there today.Did you guys ever do a inventory of all the books?...I am going to have to do that one of these days..that should be pretty interesting.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, i have at least the same amount on gun related books,they just seemed to blend together. Home LIBRARIES for me, were the way to go. Lived to far out in the country,plus; after getting things in the mail a person cant seem to kick the habit !!!! I hunted,fish, and trapped, wanted to be out in the woods, learn about everything that was associated with it. When you stop learning; you"re already dead. The more you learn, the more versatile one becomes. Books become teachers when there are no one around with the time to teach you... One of my first books came from the old Herters firm, 1966.

Attachments

• herters.jpg
    herters.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 159

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
just a couple more books i came across

Attachments

• 100_0854.jpg
    100_0854.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_0855.jpg
    100_0855.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 107

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
It was kind of funny seeing Art of Engraving by Meeks on the list here. Just came across a scrap of paper yesterday - a craftsman I met 20 years ago, who made armor for Creative Anachronists, had recommended the same book (I had lost the scrap until just now... and sadly, have not yet bought the book...)

I guess the classics remain classic.

Gary

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
guess iam a little slow at getting back to things, here are more books

Attachments

• 100_0915.jpg
    100_0915.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_0916.jpg
    100_0916.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_0917.jpg
    100_0917.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 88

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
the J.M.BERGLING collection is the way to go, thanks Tira.

Attachments

• 100_0963.jpg
    100_0963.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_0964.jpg
    100_0964.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_0965.jpg
    100_0965.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_0966.jpg
    100_0966.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 102

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Well, i finally found my own Nimschke book, guess the rest are already in other engravers hands....this one is a 1992, Rowe publications, the "Holy Grail " for engravers........

Attachments

• 100_1159.jpg
    100_1159.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_1160.jpg
    100_1160.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger !!!! I like good reference material on hand, I just wish I had the same amount of engraving experiance that you acquired over the years. I recently joined FEGA, and ordered some more books and some castings from them. One never stops learning, and the time to gather books is now, as it seems that due to the economy, we could end up lossing alot of books for lack of people buying them up and it being harder for business to carry stock they arent moving...

Sponsors