Some engravings

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hello you great engravers,
Here are a few engravings I did as practice. Without gravemach but with microscope, so handpower only.
These are some earrings with thanks to Brian Hochstrat .

And half a year ago I joint a gym and for three months I had a personal trainer.
Thought it would be nice to make her a medal (Her innitials are E.K. which allso stand for European Championship and with Thanks to Sam and his crossed ribbon.) with a little joke on the backside.

This is the litle joke on the backside is a practise thingy whitch on the real medal looks already a bit more concistent in the lettering. Still 0.7mm for the smaller letters is not the best way to start to practise engraving letters :eek:

It says,

Eline,
Whenn I see you, My
Heartrate fly's up, My
leggs start to shake and
my sweat breaks out.
Youre the best,
Daniel

In Dutch this would mean "smitten with love" but in reality this aply's to her perfectly, pffff
I made very little gravers for this lettering. Carbide tipped burrs changed into a little flat graver and a tiny 100degree graver (can't seem to be able to handle the 120 degree one)

Still an Everest to be learned but I'm having fun in my spare time.
Any tips onengraving letters?

Greatings,

Daniel

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
Daniel,
I like your joke. You have a good sense of humor. Your cross ribbons look good. Keep at it. Do you have the book by James Meek. The Art of Engraving. It has a good section on lettering.

Engrave on
Jeff

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
The Jewelry Enrgavers Manual is super for lettering, when lettering without power assist is is all about the direction that you cut each part of each letter. I used to think lettering was difficult untill I watched Heinar Tamme do my wife's name inside my wedding ring, now I think it's kinda fun to do letters......Owen

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
your work is very good. .7mm letters, not an easy task without much practice. she will love such a gift.

caelare

Daniel very nice done.

Heel goed ik vind het mooi gedaan vooral die kleine letters ik weet zelf uit ervaring dat dat niet meevalt.

Greatings Ad

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your kind words.

I've got J.B. Meeks book and his table of letters was my guideline. I just can't seem to get consistancy in the letters when I follow his arrows. Although when I do big letters it does seem to work a lot better.
I figured out that I could do the "bellys"of the a, d, o, e etc a lot better and evenly with a flat graver.

I will get the Jewelery Engravers Manual. Thank you.
When last November the last hand-engraver of Haarlem retired it dawned on me that I let a big chance pass.
For the last 10 years I know Frans, but only got interested in engraving the last year. So allas now watching engravers at work anywhere soon. I'll be nosing around here then.

She indeed liked the meddal and diddn't take the joke the wrong way:)

Greetings,

Daniel

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Great Medalje. I think it is so special to joke about the painful strain of exercise. As I'm Afrikaans (derived from Dutch) speaking I could read your "Hoogen Hollands". Pragtig (Beautiful)

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Since last theursday I have my own Lindsay palm controle.
I LOVE IT!!!

Have been playing around a lot!

But I think my work has improved.

Drawing comes on slowly but hopefuly surely.

And transfering seems to make a world of difference!

Thank's a lot for the information and turorials and such!
I will keep you posted!

Greeting's

Daniel

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, here is my last engraving.
The hammer had some casting flaws I could not really get around.
Hope you like it.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Daniel, you mentioned you got a Lindsay. I see it as a beautiful piece of machinery; but if you could, please tell me what is it that like about it. Does it in someway improve or make easier your work.
Your lettering on the charm for your trainer adds 'charm' to the piece in a way that the perfect lettering below your announcement that you got your Lindsay wouldn't.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Cloudy and Darcy! I am a bit proud of myself for I never thought I could do anything close to this.
(still see flaws I can overcome in the future)

Kevin, that is some question!
I get your drift on the charm that push engraving provides. Push engraving does tend to take more than ten years to master to a level that you are absolutely confident of what you do and to be able to provide a standard level to your customers. There are a lot of customers that do not like the charm of (poor) push engraving and that includes me I think.
The engraving done by machines is always recognizable by people in the trade. Good pushengravings look like hand written note's in metal with the finest of handwriting. And this is what I can do with my Lindsay PalmControl with confidence. Push engraving takes away my confidence because of the chance of big slips caused by lack of control. Those slips are taken away with an airgraver.
And being quite new to letter engraving, my lettering has more "charme"as you call it to it then I would like.

Next to that! There is power. With my Lindsay I can work and engrave for hours on end in silver gold or steel no worry's. With push engravers you can also work for hours on end but not with the same speed. I can chop out burrs in steel in one go that would take at least ten passes with push engravers.
Even in silver or gold, you can work much faster because you can cut more metal in one go.
Lindsay Airgravers or GRS systems just leave you handeling the steering of the graver while they produce the impact power. (ofcourse I am a Lindsay fan forever)
Hope this is a good answer for you.

Daniel

Latest posts

Sponsors