Engraving an 1883 Winchester

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I have recently acquired an 1883 deluxe Winchester. I got this because it is missing some parts which are not available. The seller did not want to spend the money to restore this fine firearm. I am machining, hand filing, and heat treating these parts. So soon the 45-70 will be completed. It will look original.
The question I'm wrestling with is should I engrave this as part of the total restoration? If I do engrave it, should I copy a winchester pattern or develop my own? On its own the rifle is very nice with exhibition wood, octagon barrel, checkering, and ebony inlays. The rifle is in about 70% plus condition with the barrel bore clean and crisp. Doug Turnbull could make this one a heart stopper. Marty Rabino could make this rifle appear on Turpin's next book cover. I would like some input from my engraving colleagues.

Last edited:

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Glenn, did you mean 1886. If so, there are 2 choices. If you are planning to sell the gun later, then I would suggest one of the original patterns. Traditional patters seem to sell better, unless it is very high grade engraving. If you are keeping it forever, then do what you want. What parts are missing, I can possible help you out.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
No Yves, this is not an 1886. This is an 1883. This is a bolt action rifle. The parts that are missing is the safety lever on the right side of the action under the bolt. Also missing , is the spring for the safety lever, screw for the spring and a cross bolt for the action.
There is not much information available on the 1883. Even in the Blue Book of Gun Values, there is little written about this model. Thanks for the offer to help a fellow skratcher in itching torment.:D

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
I would go for copying the original look and initial ( small) a place somewhat out from the new pattern. Obviously, you wouldn't sell it as a 100& original gun. Ken

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Glenn..As far as parts for your Winchester Hotchkiss 1883 Sporting Model here are a few places where you can look for parts:

Empire Gun Parts - 1-570-275-5482
Silver Hill Holding Co. - 1-336-746-5865
Numrich - 1-845-679-4867
Jack First - 1-605-343-9544

Hope this helps you.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bingo JJ you recognized this was a Hotchkiss rifle. Thanks for the tips. I'll be on the phone in the morning. Numrich does not list any parts for the 1883, but I'll try the others.
What are your thoughts about engraving this rifle?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Glen..Marty would do a fine job engraving it..Doug would do a fine job bluing it, and restoring the wood, but if it is 70% original I would just try to replace the missing parts and keep it as is for your collection. What is the blue book value at 70%..I am really curious?

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
JJ,
I've tried to find a figure in the blue book, but I can't find this deluxe model listed. The wood is a knock out and the ebony inlays are perfectly done. The checkering in worn, but not chipped. There is a brownish patina on the metal. The bore looks excellent with riflings that are sharp and don't seem to show any wear.
There is going to be a firearms collectors gun show in January. There is an elderly man who is a Winchester collector who always has a display so I'm hoping he can give me an estimate of the value.
I must admit that the value does little for me. I'm more interested in making this neat rifle complete. As I first stated in the thread I posted, I'm tugging with me and myself about engraving it. It is a fabulous matt of flat surfaces which reaches out and tugs at my heart strings (Reminds me of my courtship with my bride of 48 years).:D ;)

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn
I know what you mean about the compulsion to put an "oldie" back together. I've come up with a number of otherwise fine pieces that just need a little help over the years and have added them to my beer budget collection. Be careful about who you ask for estimates from.Many times they are looking to lowball you so they can make you an offer you can't refuse. Take some pictures of the gun and maybe somebody here on the forum can help you out with this.
And what do you mean the flat surfaces reminds you of your bride????????????

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Marty for giving me a hearty laugh. Knowing you, I should have expected a curl to my bride statement.;)

Latest posts

Sponsors