Graduation Speech, your imput is needed and appreciated.

autumnwinds44

There is a possibility, that the powers that be, will want me to say something when I walk at graduation. I ran this by Sam and Abigail first, and now I wanted to ask you, one and all, this question.

" If you were given the chance, what would you say, or want said, about the art of engraving; its past, the present, and where the future is going, or where it should be going?"

Last edited:

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Describe the commitment, endurance, sacrifice, and ultimate impracticality of the pursuit in our modern economy of a life time pursuit with little reward. The passion that drives the pursuit and its power to give stamina to the practitioner. The love of the struggle to overcome human clumsiness and train the human body to be sensative to microscopic movement. The lifelong pursuit of perfection. A trade that no one but the ones practicing it understands which has become an art. The rampant ignorance about hand wrought items in a world of technology minded, push button creators. The overwhelming love of the trade that compels us forward, unable to escape its grasp.

The undoubtable satisfaction of being able to creaty beauty and grace with your bare hands, and the mind that gradually submits to those laws through unmeasurable practice......and I believe there will always be engravers. It will be the culture that will forsake us for easier ways, but there wiil be a remnant of people bucking the odds and forces against us for the beauty of it all, and those who will still remain who understand that love and the touch of the human hand.

Hope this gives you some ideas................Ron S

Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful Window

Well said Ron,
We are here to celebrate the Engraver. Who bring to life an image through the shear force of will and his craft. Though the language of the fluid line imparts a part of their spirit into every engraving, and gives
each separate part of the image as well as the background, great consideration as how it effects the
finished idea.

The engraver puts forth his ideas for all to look at and understand at first glance. He feels great joy when
other understand his truth. Harmony and beauty can be expressed in a single line. The mystery of a forest is
illustrated in subtle shading. The engravers art is a beautiful window of our world.

I think this might due. Use any part you want. As long as to tell the truth to a lots of people.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Faye

It was great seeing you again in Reno. Congratulations on the graduation.

From what I understand Faye is the first graduate from the ESU (Emporia State University) with a degree in the engraving arts................ well done. There's a lot of people out there that are very proud of you.

As for the speech........... Everyones journey is a different so if you speak true and of the passion in your own heart then that will be enough to inspire others. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
It was wonderful seeing you again in Reno, Fay.
I know that the true words that come from your heart will make us all continue to be very proud of you.
Go get 'em lady, and show others the path.
Congratulations, and very best wishes for a long and wonderful career.

Best, John B.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Faye,
I have been trying to think of anything else to add but it has been pretty well covered by the others except for the fact that I think the future of engraving looks BRIGHT. Considering the the activity of iGraver and increase in FEGA I think this tells the story. I wish I could attend the graduation but as I said, I will be in at the NRA show that weekend. Give-em a speech to remember!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lines.

Lines are everywhere.

We stand in lines waiting to fill in the lines on forms. Sometimes we stand there so long that lines form on our foreheads. We use telephone lines to open lines of communication with each other.

Most of the lines in our lives are fleeting things, but some will outlast us. We ourselves are part of a family line that stretches off into the misty past.

Engraving gives us a chance to make lines that will persist long after we are gone. Even now in museums around the world there are pieces of metal - artifacts - that are considered significant in part because of the engraving on them. The hands that held the gravers may have been dust for centuries, but the lines they cut are still here, still causing lines to form to see them...

Just a fragment of a thought, perhaps of use to you.

autumnwinds44

I had a chance to try out some of the wisdom that was offered to me last week at a lunchenon where I was given short notice I would be speaking about engraving to a room full of highpowered people who are the primary donors to the university,(scared spitless!) Thank you so much for all of your help, I am glad you guys have my back.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the fun things I've done is the ToastMaster's program. I did it in support of my ever-indulgent wife and went from 'able to speak in public' to 'people showed up when they knew I was speaking'. She went from 'afraid to speak in public' to 'work wants her to run meetings / got promoted' so I'd say it worked. ;)

One of the things you do in ToastMasters is called "Table Topics". You get a topic thrown at you and you have 30 seconds to think, then have to talk for 1:30 - 2:00 minutes (I think - working from memory on the exact time you have to speak).

One of the presentations I did was on some tips for Table Topics (or other impromptu opportunites). The first thing I told them was that your 30 seconds to think doesn't start until you reach the lectern so walk slow. :p

The other thing I showed them was that you don't really have to answer the question. This being an election year you can see (heck, you can't avoid) lots of examples of this. If you've got some thoughts semi-prepared for things that might come up all you have to do is think of how you're going to deflect from what they asked to what you want to answer. Things like "You know, your question reminds me of..." and off you go into your subject.

Think through / perhaps write out some short bits just to get your thoughts organized and you'll be ready for what comes up.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Faye, will we who can't attend get to hear your speech? That would be super!! and you would be deffinately amongst friends..................Or maybe post it, so we can read it. I would certaily like to be there, I know it will be great, and you will stir them up. Go for it!! And let us know how you felt after it is done. You are doing a great service to and for the engraving arts. Thanks from all of us!! We went without understanding for so long, it is time.

Ron S

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yea Faye...
You Tube it!!! Come on. I would think someone from the college or your "work place" could video it.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Faye,
I like to hear and see the speech also, to see how you shine. Have a good time with it.
Jim

autumnwinds44

There is only a chance, mind you, that they will let me talk, being a non-traditional student,( an old fogey), the chances are slim. I would probably take a bit of everybody from the forum ,from the kids in the class and the wisdom of those who have crossed over.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Congratulations Faye!

It was my privilege to have met you last week while you were taking your chasing and repousse class. In addition to the well-deserved kudos from the brightest of stars in the engraving firmament, there are many who are quietly, maybe silently, taking great pride in you and your accomplishments, and cheering you on your way. As with all incipient graduates, one's heart fills with hope for the commencement of a challenging, fulfilling career and life.

Admittedly too late for inclusion in any graduation speech, yet worthy of consideration, is a quote that is around 100 years old and seems to encapsulate much of the advice and sentiment already proffered in this thread. It has provided me with both strength and encouragement through some difficult times, and I offer it here in the spirit of encouragement and celebration; for you have certainly been "in the arena".

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Again, congratulations, and all the best for you and your future.

Douglas Hall

Latest posts

Sponsors