The 2018 Colt Collectors Show Gun

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I've just finished work in the 2018 Colt Collectors "Show Gun." Attached is a short collection of my "Studio Shots." The gun goes out tomorrow for Paul Goodwin photography that will be used for the Rampant Colt cover and article.

Over the past few years the CCA has adjusted the way these guns are produced. Formerly, each annual gun was artistically dedicated to the Host State. Last year Weldon Lister produced a beautiful CCA gun that reflected the Journey of the Discovery - the host State was Missouri, but his engraving theme reflected an historical event rather than the traditional State icons, like flags and other memorials.

This year the CCA Board wanted to return to the foundations of the organization - Collecting Rare and Historical Colts. They asked me to recreate a gun that Cuno Helfricht entered with his application for a position in the Custom Shop...in 1875. His father sent him back to Germany for two years of intensive training before he applied. He was hired, of course, and Cuno became one of the most celebrated of the Old Masters at Colt.

So, what you see here is my modern-day interpretation of a Cuno Helfricht piece engraved when he was 21 years old, having just returned from Germany.
The style is classic, it is intensive, and it was more difficult to do that I first thought. If there was ever any single thing that Helfricht was ever criticized for, it was his interpretation of the human and animal form. His classical Greek figures were a challenge to recreate.

The Helfricht original was shown at the Colt Display at the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition -the first time the USA hosted the International World's Fair. It was also a celebration of 100th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

This piece will be auctioned at the October 2018 Colt Collectors Show in Concord, North Carolina.

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike. I just love the stuff you do. I like the way you mix up your designs. Every part is something new to observe. It's hard to understand how someone with as much talent can remain so humble as you seem to be. Your on the top part of my list of all the engravers in the wold today. I hope you live a long life. The world needs you. This may seem over complimentary but I can't say enough about some of your engraving. Happy fathers day Mike.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, what are the grips made of? As for the Colt, well it's truly a work of art....museum quality to say the least.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I did the Engraving, Reliable Electroplating did the nickel, John Powers did the Nitre Blue, and Nutmeg Sports made and fitted the Giraffe Bone Grips.