+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan,
    Beautiful work, but I suggest you look at creating more negative space and concentrate on the transition between objects aka Phil & Simon Groggan's work. I agree with previous comments that your main cat is too large and should perhaps be made slightly smaller and not touch the sides. Your subsequent work to create space around the cat was great. Looking at the tree scene, the transition between the scrolls and tree / grass appears confused. Again, I suggest perhaps that you create negative space between the two, that will allow you to finesse the tree and gradually build the grassy foreground. Overall, a stunning design.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marty, made changes to both as suggested.

Take-down, do the scrolls look better now?

Brian when you refer to the tree scene are you looking at the butt plate with the cat in the tree or the left panel of the receiver? I tweaked the left panel to remove some leaves which may have not framed the scene as well. If you are referring to the butt plate then I am not sure what you are referring to.

Thanks again to everyone for you suggestions.

Dan
    Attached Images

3. Likes Mike Bissell, Doc Mark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Much much better Dan. No matter how simple or intricate a design is, the eye needs a resting place What i am getting at here is principles of composition These are guidelines used in all forms of visual expression guess that's what happens when you were an art teacher for too many years Many a great technique and ideas have been ruined by poor composition when all else fails...simplify

5. Likes Mike Bissell, Doc Mark, Dave London liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marty. My original thought was to have the cat look like it was emerging from the bottom metal and scrolls but I was unable to create that look with bent or protruding leaves and scrolls. So I just tightened up the scrolls right up to the head. Lesson learned.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dan
    I wish others had commented on my post with their thoughts as I am only a real novice
    But to me my eye is drawn straight to the cat now and the I take in the surroundings, Having said that
    I like the expression on the cats face, has real attitude
    looking very nice

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Dan now here is the next thing i would like you to try...with the left side scene, i would like you to make the animal a little bit larger and slide it to the left a bit. Heres my rationale, what is the subject of this scene? Usually the subject is the first thing you see. Now when i look at this i am torn between the tree and the animal. So which is more important visually?
    Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh whoops My bad slide the animal a bit to the right not the left sorry bout that

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marty, not sure if I took it too far but as I made the cat bigger the trees became troublesome.

Dan
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I vote for the bigger cat and the single tree on the left side panel.
    Less fussy and more striking design.
    John B.

Post Thanks / Like

Im with John bigger cat one tree easier to read and not as congested now it has some “WOW” factor

13. Likes John B. liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast