concave curve square graver geometry

James

Anyone have practical experience of creating square graver for engraving inside concave surfaces, such as engraving inside large buckles, bowls, cuff bracelets ect. of course each concave surface would have its own ideal "lift", and any comments on learning curve ?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
James,E.C.Lyons Bronx N.Y. make printmaking & engraving tools,give them a call 718-515-5361 they may be able to help you with gravers for concave surfaces . J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
in general, steeper heel angles with correspondingly 'shallower' faces are in order. i recently did a fairly long line of lettering in a concave band around a Cynthia Eid silver vessel and iirc, used a 25° heel and a 35° face.

if you need to reach down inside something while avoiding an obstruction, those sorts of custom-forged gravers get pretty tricky.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the so called "vintage" gravers listed on the bay will often have a few in the collection. they may not be suitable for steel, but will usually work on any of the metals a buckle would normally be made from. any of the oldies i ever bought were fine for jewelry work and such. some can be heat treated and tempered to work on hard metals, but i'm not sure which ones can be tempered.

James

first of all, Dave, big fan of your work and wit...please elucidate me as to what a fishbelly style graver is ? Thanks in advance.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You will find all the information you are looking for in the Jewelry engravers manual for sale on the ABE book site cheap.

Latest posts

Sponsors