+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Damascene

Post Thanks / Like

Default Damascene

I am having a difficult time with this term as it is relates to engraving. I have seen this term used and illustrated several time on the forum and other places. The descriptions & illustrations of damascene were different from one to the next. Is this a generic term or a specific term of a particular style or form?

What is Damascene?

"Quality in a product is like character in a person" sign in Len Brownell's Shop
    Roger M. Green

Post Thanks / Like

i know of at least 3 different "types" of damascene. our duty historian, roger bleile , could probably settle the issue.

3. Likes John B., rmgreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Barry Lee Hands did a FEGA seminar on damascene. I'm sure the DVD is available from FEGA

5. Likes John B. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Barry Lee Hands did a FEGA seminar on damascene. I'm sure the DVD is available from FEGA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bissell View Post
    I'm sure Barry Lee Hands did a FEGA seminar on damascene. I'm sure the DVD is available from FEGA
    barry has also done a tutorial on how he did a sheep. cant remember wich forum, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, he did do a dvd

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Saludos,
    Carlos

www.gunengraver.com

"strive to produce work that the very best engravers do, set your mark high, aim for it, but don't be disappointed when you don't get to 100%, you will have done your best and that's what counts" - Phil Coggan

Post Thanks / Like

DAMASCENE GOLD WORK or DAMASQUINADO A process of arms and jewelry decoration most commonly associated with Spain. To create damascene ornamentation the engraver or damasquinador engraves or punches tiny raised teeth on the surface of the metal in the shape of the desired design. 24-karat gold or fine silver is then punched down onto the teeth. The design is then trimmed or cleaned up with a burin. Spanish damascene work commonly uses designs of Moorish or Arabic design as contrasted with other forms of gold or silver overlay using European motifs. French: La damasquinure

Some examples are shown below.
    Attached Images
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers series of books.
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

"Nulla dies sine linea." Pliny

Post Thanks / Like

I will add that the term Damascene can be used in other ways in areas aside from arms and jewelry. For instance, among pocket watch collectors, Damascene relates to a repetitive pattern on the bridges of a watch movement. It is similar to engine turning. Also, in the far east Damascene gold work is known as Koftgari. The same process is used but the style of ornament is different than found in European work. The percussion revolver above could be considered Koftgari due to the style of ornament (probably done in India).
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers series of books.
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

"Nulla dies sine linea." Pliny

11. Likes Dave London, mitch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also Nunome Zogan inlay (Japanese Damascene) on many different objects............ https://www.google.com/search?q=nuno...w=1590&bih=889

13. Likes gcleaker, Dave London liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input. Roger B. I think your explanation is the strict (primary) definition of Damascene. I had seen examples of Fine English and other styles used in a repetitive manner referred to as Damascene. Like many other things There is more than one definition but one which is the primary definition. Again Thanks.

"Quality in a product is like character in a person" sign in Len Brownell's Shop
    Roger M. Green

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast