Critique Request Backbones (insert scolioscis pun)

Gunny

Hi all,

Since my last post here I've signed up for a GRS class (June, with Rick Eaton), bought Sam's "Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls" video, and borrowed a sketch pad and some pencils from my exceedingly patient wife.

The first scrolls I drew were a week or two ago, but I've decided to take some advice here and work on an element at a time, so this week is going to be backbones. I've noticed that I have a tendency to flatten out a section as I sketch, which then ends up pushing the "knob" of the scroll too far one way or the other even if I try to go back and round off the flattened part. There's some evidence of that in the "1" sketch, the outer section around 2 0'clock was flat, the "tail" of that backbone was originally more parallel with the tail of "2", but once I started correcting the tail rotated counter clockwise and the knob moved to the right. (Also realizing I should have marked these up to better illustrate what I'm saying...)

I'm happier with number 2 overall. Any advice on either of them?

Also, would you recommend that I draw a box/rectangle first and then try to put the scroll into that space to start thinking about layout? Or is that something that should come once the elements are more consistent? In this case, I drew the box around them afterwards just to section off that part of the sketch pad.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

IMG-5911.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Looks like you are doing fine for an early start Gunny.
Maybe a little shorter starting tail would be better.
And you don't need the dot on the Knob.
Maybe also do some inside a rectangle drawn to the Golden Mean.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Gunny,You may find Ron Smith's book Advanced Drawing of Scrolls helpful,sold by GRS. J.J.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Gunny,
I was stationed at MCB Twentynine Palms way back in 1969. I passed through the stumps on a motorcycle trip about two weeks ago.

Semper Fi
0811-12 5th Field Artillery 8" SP Howitzer
MCB 29 Palms Rifle Team

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gunny, as you draw them be sure to turn the paper around a lot. Your eye & brain start making corrections for your hand, but when viewed from a different angle the errors reappear. A scroll that looks pretty good from one angle may not when rotated 360 degrees.

"Scrolliosis"? lol.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Like Mitch says...and I also find more errors in the backbone as I start adding the inside leaves and such. While the left scroll has a less smooth line, the one on the right is a little elongated vertically to my eye. I'm not referring to the long lead in line, which I use a lot

Attachments

• Sq 2 Jan 17.jpg
    Sq 2 Jan 17.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 215

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Beautiful example of your artistry Sam. Thank you for sharing..

You, and our dear departed friends Ray Viramontez and Bob Swartley are some of the very few engravers that can pull off this "grayhound style"
elongated scrollwork.

And your Masterful break up of some of the long lead ins with the little gold oak leaves

Your whole side panel and scene has a wonderful horizontal flow and is so well balanced and contrasted by the more typical rounded scroll on the lower panel. Love your oak bark and squirrel. There is a world of study in this piece.

Gunny

Maybe a little shorter starting tail would be better.
And you don't need the dot on the Knob.
Maybe also do some inside a rectangle drawn to the Golden Mean.

I'll give the shorter tail and the golden rectangle a shot, thanks! As for the dot, I know, it was more to help me visualize as I brought the spiral in tighter than I've seen in the tutorials. I figured if I wasnt going to add anything to the backbone I'd get my money's worth on that inside part of the knob.

Gunny,You may find Ron Smith's book Advanced Drawing of Scrolls helpful,sold by GRS. J.J.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Hey Gunny,
I was stationed at MCB Twentynine Palms way back in 1969. I passed through the stumps on a motorcycle trip about two weeks ago.

Semper Fi
0811-12 5th Field Artillery 8" SP Howitzer
MCB 29 Palms Rifle Team

Semper Fi! You picked a good time of year to come through as you probably already know, drop me a line if you ever want a riding buddy through the Mojave, I'm always looking for a reason to get out on the road for a little bit.

Gunny, as you draw them be sure to turn the paper around a lot. Your eye & brain start making corrections for your hand, but when viewed from a different angle the errors reappear. A scroll that looks pretty good from one angle may not when rotated 360 degrees.

Thanks, I've begun to notice that but then wasnt sure if the change of angle was making the errors more apparent or making an ok part look like an error. I suppose that a good line should look good from every angle?

Like Mitch says...and I also find more errors in the backbone as I start adding the inside leaves and such. While the left scroll has a less smooth line, the one on the right is a little elongated vertically to my eye. I'm not referring to the long lead in line, which I use a lot

I see what you're saying Sam, I think I need to spend more time with a reference to sort out those proportions, the tendency is definitely to go a little oblong. I also really appreciate seeing your piece, it's a lot to take in for me but absolutely beautiful, it's the first I've seen of that style.

Latest posts

Sponsors