One third done

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi!
It has been a while but here is some progress. A lot of work has went in to this one and had to finish a third to see how it’s coming out.
I can’t say I am over thrilled about it but hopefully the complete picture will be more satisfying.
BA223210-C427-4AB5-B23B-CDFB6BF4FC2C.jpg
16CA0D61-1363-4214-8418-5A094FE767DB.jpg C6C184E9-BF07-42C9-B46B-AF7D4136BFAF.jpg 06327DF3-02D3-4748-87EF-058E2BE3B3D3.jpg 2372DA15-7E29-4D2B-81C8-96DA7142EEA7.jpg 3F55CCEE-2CB3-44C8-9159-4409BA3893F5.jpg

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam, I have been looking at it for so long that I am beginning to think it’s ugly.
I am feeling better now.
Thanks!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i also think it's quite attractive. i also do not have a clue as to what it might be.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Guys,
It is just scrolls on the sides. Had to make the long because the area isn’t that wide. I have hold back on leaves because I want much black background showing.
I have break it all off with straight “Art decoâ€￾ lines in the middle section. I am going to top that background of with Bulino dots so the lines pop more.
The whole thing is the handle of an folding knife.
7D7DCA63-4051-4C95-A4C6-7BB26780A56C.jpeg A034EA30-33CE-44A7-AF47-3AD3CFCF95A4.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, your 'mechanical' gold inlay work down the middle is very impressive! i've done just enough of that sort of thing to know how difficult it is to get that machine-perfect look. well done!

and what are you using for the two different colors of gold? different alloys or different metals?

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, your 'mechanical' gold inlay work down the middle is very impressive! i've done just enough of that sort of thing to know how difficult it is to get that machine-perfect look. well done!

and what are you using for the two different colors of gold? different alloys or different metals?

Mitch!
I was afraid when I saw you have written on my thread that I got really hammered here but you are impressed!!
Wow, thank you so much!
Yes I didn’t thought that “machining” lines were supposed to be difficult but man that was tough to pull off!!
And the tiny pores that you can’t hide with shadings, ahh really time consuming. I had to go back several times to recut and fill. And you know what, I had tape over to cover it when I made scrolls so when I took the tape off, some of that pores covering came off. So now I have to go back again:(
Yes I have green, yellow and pink gold inland.
Let me see if I have more pictures from this nerv wrecking episode of my life.
Thanks
Mike

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
I have another question for you guys as well.
Since I have minimal with leaves and just long scrolls, I am having trouble with getting that real depth if you know what I mean. So I am thinking... Is it okay in the engravers book to mix ordinary line shading with Bulino dots? By doing this I think I could get that sculpted effect to it.

Btw, Here is another “machiningâ€￾ lines for you Mitch
3C5BCE34-395D-4D99-8FEA-45B06A5A400A.jpg 79BB51C4-FA72-4AFF-BAF1-1B3076BFF1ED.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch!
I was afraid when I saw you have written on my thread that I got really hammered here but you are impressed!!
Wow, thank you so much!
Thanks
Mike

i didn't realize you thought I've been hard on you! Sorry! :eek:

For the record, if i bother to offer criticism it's because i see that someone has the potential to use it to improve their work. i tend to not comment on photos posted by people who are really just starting out because A) the process of becoming even marginally proficient at the basics can take awhile, depending on aptitude, available practice time, etc.; and B) other Cafe members have much more experience teaching beginners and have the computer skills to mark up drawings & photos.

i really enjoy helping people who have demonstrated they have the skills to use good advice AND accept it in the spirit in which it's given. there are a few people (thankfully, a tiny handful) who i've learned to not bother helping because they either don't take the advice and KEEP ON DOING SOMETHING WRONG, or have a bad attitude when it comes to constructive criticism. You are not one of those people, Mike. :graver:

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
i didn't realize you thought I've been hard on you! Sorry! :eek:

For the record, if i bother to offer criticism it's because i see that someone has the potential to use it to improve their work. i tend to not comment on photos posted by people who are really just starting out because A) the process of becoming even marginally proficient at the basics can take awhile, depending on aptitude, available practice time, etc.; and B) other Cafe members have much more experience teaching beginners and have the computer skills to mark up drawings & photos.

i really enjoy helping people who have demonstrated they have the skills to use good advice AND accept it in the spirit in which it's given. there are a few people (thankfully, a tiny handful) who i've learned to not bother helping because they either don't take the advice and KEEP ON DOING SOMETHING WRONG, or have a bad attitude when it comes to constructive criticism. You are not one of those people, Mike. :graver:

Well thank you Mitch!
No I don’t think you are hard, just honest and I appreciate that.
Btw, do you remember this one?
This was one of my first knives I made, a dealer bought it and then you engraved it.
0DC81872-EB51-425F-AAEC-D4DEF82B2495.jpg
Beautiful engraving;)
//Mike

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the fact that you're doing this on a part time basis makes the work all the more impressive.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Btw, do you remember this one? This was one of my first knives I made, a dealer bought it and then you engraved it."

Yes, i remember it, but didn't know it was one of your first pieces. it was so well made i naturally assumed you had been making knives for some years and i just hadn't heard of you, or seen any of your other work. now i'm even more impressed!

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
"Btw, do you remember this one? This was one of my first knives I made, a dealer bought it and then you engraved it."

Yes, i remember it, but didn't know it was one of your first pieces. it was so well made i naturally assumed you had been making knives for some years and i just hadn't heard of you, or seen any of your other work. now i'm even more impressed!
Thanks Mitch!
I got a chance to look at it some years ago and it looks even better live. I think it went to Beijing.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Two thirds done.
I just finished up the other side today, had to blacking it to see how it turns out so the pictures are pretty messy right now.
The final step will be the background in the middle section. I’m gonna go with bulino dots.
2BB30E25-1921-4942-AEBC-EBE15932E6BB.jpg 59D6F67C-9EEF-4EE0-9D30-CC1726EBA47A.jpg

Attachments

• 6C56C7C7-7E5A-4A50-8FAC-DD915EEB2201.jpg
    6C56C7C7-7E5A-4A50-8FAC-DD915EEB2201.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 90

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
For those who are interested, here is my new locking mechanism.

[video]https://youtu.be/tG6qKvyO1eQ[/video]

Latest posts

Sponsors