Springfield stainless 1911

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I had 2 customers come in with stainless handguns they wanted engraved 1 was a Freedom arms after a site search I found I could not run fast enough to get away from that 1. The other is a Springfield 1911 The site search was not so clear on that one. Layne said he found them hard but how hard? Ruger cylinder hard worse?
Thanks,Leland

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
After checking for safe unloading of semi-auto pistols like the 1911 and clones.
You can always detach the slide and make a test cut in the inside.
I believe you will find the Springfield to be quite hard.

LahtiM39

You might try calling Springfield’s technical staff and ask them the type of stainless and how it is hardened.
I called Magnum Research this week for particulars on their Desert Eagle handguns. They were very forthcoming with the information and were spot on. It made making that first cut a lot easier!

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
As already been suggested check with Springfield to see what finish that they put on it. If it is melonite you will need to take it off be for cutting. It is pretty tuff.
Sandy

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all, The fact that only one engraver on here has cut a stainless Springfield told me all I needed I sent him on his way. I will call Springfield and see what they say.
Thanks again,Leland

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Springfield's stainless is hard but not bad enough to turn down. Stay away from the XD line for sure but their 1911's are not an issue.