New here and learning

Gunny

Hi all,

Just a quick post to introduce myself and give context to other comments or questions I may ask later.

I'm not an engraver, I'm a 18-and-change year US Marine Gunnery Sergeant, Communications guy, Iraq vet, and Special Operations veteran of Afghanistan, currently doing Academic advisory work at the Marine Corps Communications School in California.

With retirement rapidly approaching it's time to get serious about figuring out what I want to do when I grow up, and for the last 10 year or so Plan A has been to retire and go to watchmaking school for a couple of years, then do that, ideally in some kind of independent small business.

For the last year or so engraving has caught my eye as something that could be complimentary to watchmaking or worth doing on it's own, and I'm considering taking some classes before I retire in order to feel that out and see how it develops. It's also potentially complimentary to my wife's lapidary work, as she is doing more and more of her own setting and metalsmithing.

So off the top of my head, I'm curious to know if any of you have tried a multidisciplinary approach like this, or if you think it's better to find a thing and specialize.

Also, and less importantly, I'm wondering if anywhere in the US teaches engraving with GI Bill or some kind of vocational rehab engagement. Not looking to get anything for free, but I'm content to let the the VA or GI Bill to pick up some of the tab where possible.

Lastly, thanks Sam and everyone for this awesome forum, I'll be deep-diving the existing posts here for quite a while.

Bismuth

Welcome to the cafe.

I think you are asking some very fundamental questions regarding your future career plans.

Being a professional engraver means essentially that you are going to be a professional artist and craftsman. Are you passionately artistically oriented?

If it was me at the same situation, I’d probably plan diversified curriculum taking multidisciplinary approach as you mentioned. Start building and developing your skillset in a planned manner. 98.5 percent of the professional artists and craftspeople are mixed multiworkers.

Be it this or that, you need get serious from the start, if you are planning to be a pro. Lessons and education is a MUST in that case. It is an investment that will pay off from the first job you’ll do. And I’d also suggest getting yourself ´Career counselor or consult’ who can help you planning your roadmap. Chances are good that you will find one from this forum.

There are many fine engravers who started their careers in the same situation , asking the same quetions you are doing now. Passionate and determined people will succeed in anything they choose to!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I like Bismuth's post good advice,before any engraving lessons maybe art class's would be a good start and get with an engraver for avice.I would have never thought of engraving without my background in art. Thanks for your service gunny.:thumbsup: J.J.

Last edited:

horologist

For engraving advice look no further.

For watchmaking advice try:
Horology Matters – A group of professional watchmakers. Explain your plans with some detail when you apply and you may get in. Much of the discussion revolves around the parts situation, something to consider in your career plans, there are some very knowledgeable folks here.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/horology-matters/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZnRlNzUwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIzNDUyNjg0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTc1MDg1MARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE1MjU1MTg4NTI-

Watch Repairers – A public group mostly serving as an exchange for parts and technical information for specific movements. Both groups have many members in common.
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/watchrepairers/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbWEyMDR0BF9TAzk3NDkwNTA1BGdycElkAzExNjE1ODExBGdycHNwSWQDMTY5MDUwMzU1OARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE1MjQ1ODYwOTI-

Troy

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Semper Fi Gunny! I got to Sgt and got out in 1971, served from '65-'71. I would highly suggest you seriously consider taking a class for engraving before deciding if it is really what you want to do. Engraving is a lifelong learning experience and not for the faint-of-heart, a journey worth the effort for those that are passionate about their creative efforts. It is NOT something that will generate income initially, but it can be done. If you're considering it for adding more to your wife's jewelry and your watchmaking business, then it would be useful, but to engrave on these pieces tastefully would require many hours of practice. Remember, the extraordinary works seen here are from those that have spent many YEARS perfecting their craft.

Welcome to the forum, thank you for your service and good luck on your endeavors.

Bill

Gunny

call these folks and ask: https://www.grstc.com/ good luck!

Thanks! I was in touch with them last week, I think a class there would be good to help me work this out.

Being a professional engraver means essentially that you are going to be a professional artist and craftsman. Are you passionately artistically oriented?

A good but tough question. I consider myself to be very technically inclined and detail oriented, and I'll admit to having a soft spot for obscure technical skills, which is why when it comes to stuff like this I like to slow down a bit and double check my reasoning. I love aesthetics, but I've never been particularly artistic in a drawing/painting sense. Thanks for the advice, I think the counselor bit is particularly solid. Glad I'm here.

I like Bismuth's post good advice,before any engraving lessons maybe art class's would be a good start and get with an engraver for avice.I would have never thought of engraving without my background in art. Thanks for your service gunny.:thumbsup: J.J.

I agree. And gladly! I've been happy to do it.

Semper Fi Gunny! I got to Sgt and got out in 1971, served from '65-'71. I would highly suggest you seriously consider taking a class for engraving before deciding if it is really what you want to do. Engraving is a lifelong learning experience and not for the faint-of-heart, a journey worth the effort for those that are passionate about their creative efforts. It is NOT something that will generate income initially, but it can be done. If you're considering it for adding more to your wife's jewelry and your watchmaking business, then it would be useful, but to engrave on these pieces tastefully would require many hours of practice. Remember, the extraordinary works seen here are from those that have spent many YEARS perfecting their craft.

Welcome to the forum, thank you for your service and good luck on your endeavors.

Bill

Semper Fi Sergeant! Thanks for giving guys like me a tradition and standard to aspire to. Those were some rough years, I'm humbled by your service. I agree that a class is a good first step, I'll try to get something lined up this coming week. It's definitely good to keep in mind that most of the stuff on display here isnt the work of novices, it's a solid reality check. I cant expect overnight success, but I hopefully have quite a few productive years in me (as long as we arent looking at x-rays of my knees or hips) and want to make the most of those years. In that way, something that offers continuous learning appeals to me. Thanks again!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Gunny,
Thank you for your service. I think you have some good future plans for an active second career.
Might I suggest that you post a little better location.
It would make it easier for members to reach out to you.
California is a big place and I wonder if you in Camp Pendelton Marine base/Oceanside area.
There may be engravers/instructors in your area.

Gunny

Thanks John, happy to do it.

Thanks for the tip, I'm actually up in the high desert, the big training center at Twentynine Palms. There isnt much up this way so I'm used to not having local luck, but Palm Springs is relatively close if anyone is in that area.

Bismuth

Luckily, drawing, painting, music,singing, acting dancing etc. are mostly acquired skills. EVERYONE will learn with practice. Need to create and express is in our nature.

Begin your adventure by buying a sketchbook, good quality pencils and an eraser. Then get some books about drawing in preferred format (google play is excellent). And if you want to spend a bit more. Get access to Sam’s Scroll videos and Lee’s DVD (the package is available on-demand online).

Start sketching and drawing. You’ll be surprised how far you’ll ger in just few months no to mention a year. Sooner or later you will realize that you have found an artist in yourself. As your ability to see and express things changes, your creativity will also get boosted to whole new levels.

Pencil is the first and cheapest tool a beginning engraver will need. Master the pencil and You will master everything else for sure.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks John, happy to do it.

Thanks for the tip, I'm actually up in the high desert, the big training center at Twentynine Palms. There isnt much up this way so I'm used to not having local luck, but Palm Springs is relatively close if anyone is in that area.

Thanks Gunny, and thanks for your location.
A couple of suggestions.
Join FEGA in June. www.fega.com You will build a network of supporting engraver. Attend the January 2019 Engravers Show in Las Vegas.
You might also contact Brian Marshall at Jewelry Engravers School in Stockton, CA. About 4 hours drive North of you.
As said by others , you should find some helpful art classes in Palm Springs.
Best regards.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gunny
Welcome to the forum, dittos on Brian Marshall. He has all the brands of tools to test out and a excellent teacher.

Gunny

Begin your adventure by buying a sketchbook, good quality pencils and an eraser. Then get some books about drawing in preferred format (google play is excellent). And if you want to spend a bit more. Get access to Sam’s Scroll videos and Lee’s DVD (the package is available on-demand online).

Pencil is the first and cheapest tool a beginning engraver will need. Master the pencil and You will master everything else for sure.

Great points, thanks, and I'm lucky that my artsy wife already has an impressive variety of pencils and paper, I'll definitely check out the DVD resources. As I've been digging through old posts I've seen similar advice given enough to take it seriously, it seems like the art and layout side of things tends to be the slower part of the learning curve, especially for people who gravitate towards the gadgetry.

Thanks Gunny, and thanks for your location.
A couple of suggestions.
Join FEGA in June. www.fega.com You will build a network of supporting engraver. Attend the January 2019 Engravers Show in Las Vegas.
You might also contact Brian Marshall at Jewelry Engravers School in Stockton, CA. About 4 hours drive North of you.
As said by others , you should find some helpful art classes in Palm Springs.
Best regards.

Thanks John, can I ask why in June? I now have Brian Marshall's info bookmarked for quick reference!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Great points, thanks, and I'm lucky that my artsy wife already has an impressive variety of pencils and paper, I'll definitely check out the DVD resources. As I've been digging through old posts I've seen similar advice given enough to take it seriously, it seems like the art and layout side of things tends to be the slower part of the learning curve, especially for people who gravitate towards the gadgetry.

Thanks John, can I ask why in June? I now have Brian Marshall's info bookmarked for quick reference!

Yes Gunny, the annual membership in FEGA runs from June to June.
But I bet if you call Betty or Van Angle now ( info on FEGA forum) they will make sure you get a full 2019 even if you sign up a little early.
You will then get at least a full year, four copies of The Engraver Journal.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gunny,
I would definitely contact Brian and you should also check to see what he has available for your wife. He does a lot more than just engraving. He's a whiz at all things jewelry and fabrication as well.